Author Topic: Double loop or bowyers knot?  (Read 12619 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Double loop or bowyers knot?
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:13:17 am »
What do you use.  A double loop bowstring, or a single loop with a bowyers knot for you bowstrings?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Double loop or bowyers knot?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:19:39 am »
1 loop and bowyers knot for tillering and sometimes when I am lazy I use the same string that I tillered the bow with for the regular string. I just go 3 back through instead of 2 if I plan on using it for the regular string :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:44 am »
Depends on how lazy I am when I make the string and of which material I make it.
Like you for tillering and shooting the bow in I use a single loop and bowyer's knot.
For bows of 75 lb and under I generally use B50 and a single loop, but will make double loop if I feel like it. With heavier bows and  especially when using 425 "X" I go for double loop.

Craig.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:47 am »
When using the bowyers knot, do you tie off the free end with something, or just let it frazzle out?  Just asking to find out what keeps the bowyers knot end from untwisting?

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:42 am »
When using the bowyers knot, do you tie off the free end with something, or just let it frazzle out?  Just asking to find out what keeps the bowyers knot end from untwisting?

I just use a overhand knot in the end to keep it from unwinding. Plaited loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:56 am »
I'm lazy enough to use a single loop and bowyers knot all the time.  ;D  For a long tiller string I use para cord with a slip knot in each end. For a short tiller string I use a B-50 string with one loop and bowyers knot. This string is long enough(ans strong enough) to use while making any length bow.  When I hit brace height I make a string for that bow with a single loop and a bowyers knot.
  When I first make the permanent string I prestretch it then tie off the bowyers knot , put it on the bow and stretch it again by placing the bow across my knees and push down and out on the bow's tips.  After I'm sure the string has stretched enough I tie an overhand knot in the tag end up against the bowyers knot and let the rest frey.    Once I get a string(knot and string) broke in I rarely have trouble with it slipping. If it does stretch a bit I unhook the bowyers knot from the tip and give it a few twist until it gets to my fistmele.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdMsP9OZ40

For those who learn better by seeing it done.....like me...haha
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:03 pm »
SS
    I use an upper limb loop and a lower limb bowyers knot (timber hitch). Do so cause that way the lower loop does not slide off of the bow when it's unbraced and being transported/carried.
rich

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
Stringstretcher, Tim Baker's chapter on "Strings" in TBB (#1 or 2) shows how to finish off the end of a bowyer's knot by tapering ,waxing and reverse twisting so you end up with a tail  instead of another knot. It's in among the pictures at the end of the chapter.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »
I hate bowyers knots. I stopped using em after like the 3rd one or so that broke on me. Maybe it was the second come to think of it. I use specifically linen for string material, so that might have something to do with it. I use a double loop always. Even when tillering. I almost forgot there was such a thing as a bowyers knot till I read this thread, :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:15 pm »
Flemish twist, both ends. Never have had a failure.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline oneeye

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23:32 am »
You can finish off your bowyers knot by leaving 1 strand long and trimming the others to length.
Then use the long strand to whip finish and it'll all stay together nice and neat.

[]

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:30:58 am »
That's a cool idea Scott!
Nate Danforth

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 12:48:16 am »

I just use a overhand knot in the end to keep it from unwinding. Plaited loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other.
[/quote
Other knots that work well are wall knpte or crown knots, less bulky than overhand knots.

Offline oneeye

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 01:02:48 am »
??? ???