Author Topic: Another Vine Maple Bow  (Read 11230 times)

Offline swamp yeti

Re: Another Vine Maple Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:28:11 pm »
                 That is one nice bow,like the character on the back also.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:51 am »
i give you an A+...that is some great work and the humpys can be a challenge and a learning leason...one great thing about vm is that its an exotic wood that most people cant get because it only grows out west...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:59 am »
Yea it grows like weeds out here on the coast but you do have to look long and hard to find a good piece. Thanks again, Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:53 pm »
nice looking bow josh, never have tried vine maple before but It looks to be very good bow wood

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 05:25:19 pm »
Very nice tiller on that lumpy piece of wood!  It takes alot of talent to turn such a knotty stave into a beautiful bow/piece of art like that!  Got it bookmarked for January BOM contest too!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »
Thanks guys Im excited to go hunting for some more nice VM Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:19 pm »
That is an excellent tiller. I like the handle too. Beautiful bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jimmy

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »
that's a sweet looking character bow. i just made one a lot like it. i can say that i respect the work you put into it. good job.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:34:13 am »
Beautiful little bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »
crooketarrow here are pictures of the stave let me know if you like it and if not let me know what you would rather have and ill see what I can do about finding it for you. In case you dont still have the demensions its 69" overall, it is roughly 2 1/8" to 2 1/2" around, and you can see has some pretty large amount of reflex. Pic 1 is the stave leaned up against my grid back of bow (tension wood), also you can see its pretty straight. Picture 2 is of the side, the belly is faceing my buddy in the picture. And pic 3 is looking down the back of the bow. Let me know what you think

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »
Sorry didnt proof read pic 1 the back of bow is faceing you as you look at the picture

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »
Fantastic job on a tough stave!  The tiller is good and the character is awesome.  I wonder if you couldn't narrow the tips a bit more?  How is it for hand shock?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 01:34:09 am »
The hand shock seems fine , but I have never shat a bow with noticeable hand shock so im realy not shure how she measures out on the hand shock but I dont feel much. Are you talking about width or depth? thanks I might try that?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:59 pm »
Yeah, I'm talking width.  Somebody will correct me, but if you halve the thickness you halve the draw weight, but if you halve the width you only lower the draw weight by 1/8th.  Which is why we often see slightly thicker but much narrower tips.  The bow's energy isn't being wasted moving heavy tips so there's more left over to push the arrow.  Put another way, there's more weight savings taking wood off the sides rather than the belly.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 11:45:34 pm »
Yeah, I'm talking width.  Somebody will correct me, but if you halve the thickness you halve the draw weight, but if you halve the width you only lower the draw weight by 1/8th.  Which is why we often see slightly thicker but much narrower tips.  The bow's energy isn't being wasted moving heavy tips so there's more left over to push the arrow.  Put another way, there's more weight savings taking wood off the sides rather than the belly.

k THE TIPS ARE 1/2 BY 1/2  what should I try takeing them down to? leave the thickness and take the width to 3/8 or 1/4? thanks

Josh