Author Topic: rawhide lifting up  (Read 2243 times)

Offline bluegill68

rawhide lifting up
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:41 pm »
Friends,

I have a small rawhide issue, here is a little background.
 I used the same procedure that I always have. The rawhide was soaked in warm water with a little dawn dish soap for about 20 min, rinsed and set on towels to dry. The bow was roughed up a bit, degreased with Acetone and then set aside. I spread TBIII on the rawhide and bow back and then pet sit for a bit before putting the rawhide on.  The bow was then wrapped with ace bandages and set aside for a few hours to set up. The bandages were removed and then the bow was placed in the hot box (80 degrees) for 2 weeks.
The project looked good but as I progressed through final tillering it started lifting up in spots on the edges. The 60” ntn bow had a natural back set of 4 inches. The only difference is this is not commercially made rawhide but my first homemade rawhide from last years’ buck.

Ok so here are my questions? I have used this procedure for several bows without any issues, was it the fact that the bow was had more back set than I am used to or am I missing something?

More importantly how can I fix the problem? Can I re-hydrate the raw hide and shoot glue (TBIII) under the edges? And re-wrap? Try superglue?

Ideas?

Thanks Sean

Offline woodstick

Re: rawhide lifting up
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:00 pm »
i have never made my own rawhide, so did you rough up the rawhide to? i allways back my bows after tiller is done just for insurance, backs are allways 1 growth ring but makes me feel better. it may have had a impression the it didnt set in well? i  would think maybe a little steam to loosing it up and some good super glue would work.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:34:05 pm »
I've used super glue to hold down lifting rawhide edges. TB3 won't work. However, I haven't had to do that since I changed the way I glue on rawhide. I glue it on first, before any tillering or profile cutting of any sort. Ace bandages don't provide enough clamping pressure with TB3, so I clamp the rawhide between the bow wood I'm using and another piece of wood, and then I bind it all together with rubber inner tubes. I put a layer of wax paper between the clamping board and the rawhide so it doesn't stick. I wrap the inner tubes so there is about a 1/2" gap between wraps, so air can circulate. No hot box is necessary with TB3, either. I let the whole thing sit for 48hrs, and then unwrap. I make the rawhide and belly wood the same width (usually about 2"), and then I'll cut the bow's profile on the bandsaw, and clean up the edges on my belt sander. No more rawhide lifting with this method.

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »
Woodstick the rawhide flesh side is pretty rough.

ADB, this stave had a bid lateral bend in it that had to be addressed before the backing was applied. I am curious how thick is your clamping board?

Thanks for the replies I’ll try the super glue and see if I can keep it down.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »
Definitely do not use steam on the rawhide.  The combination heat and moisture will cause the rawhide to curl up just like sinew does when it is put in water that is too hot.  It's cooking the proteins and there is no way to uncook an egg, a steak, or rawhide.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:21:11 am »
I apply my rawhide wet and use lots of glue I have only used TBII beings I have a good supply of it . I have used ace bandage  the cloth pattern in the rawhide is kind of cool I also use the rubber band s that the clinic use to draw blood about three bands will draw the hide so tight it will dry almost transparent after about 12 hours I will take off the bands and ace bandage and let it get some air by then the glue has taken hold but the rawhide may be a little damp but not for long.     As far as pulling up you didn't use enough glue.   yes work some back under the hide wrap it down it should be fine.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:19:01 am »
I make my own rawhide and have had that happen before,not usually but have seen it.I just put some glue under the edge and rerapped it. I us TB3 and a ace also and it seem to work fine,I have never tried the clamping between a board because I use staves,don't see how that would work.I can see it being a good way to do it on a board bow. :) I wouldn't steam ot wet it,just put some glue under it and clamp it down. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:20 am »
I'd just add more of the glue you used and re-wrap it until the glue dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:15 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I have enough spots that lifted I will try a few with the TBIII and a few with superglue. I give a report on what worked best.

Thanks Again

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »
What kind of rawhide did you buy before?  One possible reason for the lifting is that deer rawhide may be a lot thicker than the rawhide you used before, so when it was drying the rawhide itself absorbed some glue and left less to create the bond.  If you use deer rawhide, I'd recommend sanding it down so it's thin, or using more glue.