Author Topic: 35 inch Pitt River Atsugewi Shortbow  (Read 8038 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: 35 inch Pitt River Atsugewi Shortbow
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »
Ha sausa ka Silent Bear -
I am Mountain Maidu from Greenville, CA. I have been working in Yosemite National Park for 16 years now. I am currently an Indian Cultural Demonsrator working in the Indian Museum.  I would like to talk to you more about the process of making your bow.  That is one thing I need to work on, I usually knap, play music (a variety of flutes), make cordage and play string games(cat's cradle and others).  Making a bow is not only of personal interest, but is part of my position description. Would be great to hear from you.
Ben

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »
                 That is one nice looking bow.

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 08:37:36 pm »
glad I could help you on getting started Josh

Ben- glad to hear you are passing down the traditions, feel free to pm me on any questions

Here is a partial draw picture at 16 inches I have a hard time stressing the bow while a snap a picture this is as far as I am willing to bring it the full draw is 22 inches the tiller may look funny because of the twisted limbs but I can assure you the bow is in complete balance

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »
Beautiful work Silent Bear!!! I have a question for you, have you ever backed any bows with flax?, and if so how does it compare to sinew? Thanks for sharing, and again that is a great looking bow!

Rockford, MI

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »
thanks dave never have tried flax before but the only material that I know of that comes close to sinew is fiberglass

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »
I love short bows!  This one is a dandy!   :) Tiller looks perfect on it.  Got it bookmarked for January Self BOM contest too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 1776J

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:09 pm »
Silent Bear,...
outstanding work!

Thank you for sharing this with all of us, it is so interesting to see this.