Author Topic: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow  (Read 71294 times)

Offline Dane

Re: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »
After test fitting and making sure I got it right, I then chiseled in the channel for the tickler. It was fast and easy work. Another benefit over the other way I was making the weapon is that I didn’t have to deal with a plug and then a lock plate, so it is much cleaner in appearance and a stronger tiller overall. I also drilled the hole for the 8/32 threaded rod that will be the tickler pivot pin, first through the tickler itself (center punching and then on the drill press), then through one half and then through the second half. I fretted and messed about a great deal with this step, but the care is worth the time, and the tickler has about an inch of travel from cocked to firing positions.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2011, 01:12:19 pm »
Gotta do some errands. More later today.

Dane

Offline jpitts

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »
Hey Dane,
Long time no talk to. I love this thread. Last time we talked you were talking bout the scorpio and the Roman reinacting.
This is off the charts way cool. Keep it up.  ;D
Oh hey.... Could you message me that web site? I never did get to it.
Can't wait for more....
Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2011, 05:07:02 pm »
Jimmy, thanks for the kind words. Please remind me of that website....I am blanking on it. :) 3 months is a long time.

Next step was to do the glue up. I left enough wood for the flat top of the tiller so I could hand plane and sand it so I had a flat surface at a perfect 90 degree angle relative to the sides of the tiller. Being wobbly is fine if you have been out carousing, but not if you want an accurate crossbow. :)

Notice the little tweak in the wood next to the socket. Since I was gluing up the two sides, it wasnt that importnat, although not pretty.

Offline Dane

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2011, 05:10:50 pm »
So, next step was hewing and carving the tiller to the desired shape. I used my tiny band saw to cut out the basic shape of the tiller, and then did the glue up, using Tightbond III and wooden handscrew clamps, the same kind Uncle Fester used when he had a headache. Then, I used primarily a hatchet, adz (invaluable tool for me), draw knife, rasps and files. Making stuff is probably more fun than the completed project, so the process is always my favorite part of any project, and seeing it evolve is the best part for me.

Offline Dane

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »
The prod socket was next. This was probably the most stressful step for me. Not only did the socket have to conform to the shape of the prod, but had to be a perfect 90 degrees to the tiller, and I had to have a 6 percent angle so the string will clear the top of the tiller and end up exactly the right height at full draw to engage the end of the quarrel / bolt. The prod is 175# at an 8” draw, and the brace height is 3.5”, so a total of 11.5 from the prod to the rolling nut.

I used the bandsaw to rough cut, then a 1” chisel to create the socket. It actually didn’t take that long to do this step, and I had no issues aside from a bit of tearing of the grain at one point, but nothing fatal and it will be hidden entirely by the prod once it is bound in place. Rasps and files finished this step, and the prod fits snuggly, but not so tight that pressure from drawing the weapon will crack the joint.

Offline Dane

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:06 pm »
More photos of the prod socket. I tested the angle with a piece of linen string, and was satisfied that the string will clear the table all the way through the draw and firing of the weapon.

Offline Dane

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »
Prod socket continued....

Offline Dane

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2011, 05:25:21 pm »
Next, I hand fitted the holly wood plates that will cover the table of the tiller. Historically, many crossbows had bone or ivory plates fitted on top, and I had planned to make the plates out of bone. I picked up more than sufficient cow bone material at a pet store, but realized that I didn’t really want to work this much bone for as long as it would have taken. The stink is wretched, and the dust is not something you want to breathe. I chose a very nice plank of super white holly from my local hardwood dealer. This piece was absolutely and terribly expensive, about 60 dollars for a plank about 1” x 4” x 40”, but it will look great, a very ivory-like shade, so I deemed it worth the investment. The little bandsaw I have was not up to resawing the plank in half, so most of it was sacrificed to the arbalest gods. I ran the plank through my thickness planer until I had it about 1/8” thick, and had already rough cut it out for the first tiller, but thankfully, I had left enough extra that I was able to use the pre-cut pieces.

And that is where it stands. This morning, I continued to glue on the plating, and should have that step done by the end of the weekend. For decoration, I found some ¾” wide tulip wood veneer strips with dyed edging, and that should like really good. I will chisel in a channel along the table, and this will create a kind of border between the bottom edge of the table plating and the tiller. The red shade of the tulip is different than the red shade of the cherry tiller, so the contrast will be nice. I played with the idea of inlaying white and black dyed bone, and while that would look great, I think I will save that for another crossbow. If this doesn’t seem to make sense, I’ll be illustrating with photos soon.

You can expect more of this project soon, as I am cranking on it and can see the light at the end of the build. After I get the inlaying done and finish the table, I will bore the binding hole in the nose of the bow, make the string and the bastard string, bind the prod and the stirrup to the tiller, and mess about with final adjustments and begin shooting it. I may make a simple medieval sight, which is basically a little strip of brass with a series of holes drilled in it that is hinged, and lays flat or can be raised up when ready to shoot; think of it as a primitive peep sight, and you use the tip of the quarrel as the front sighting point.

The finish I plan for this will be boiled linseed oil and a few coats of tung oil, which will be a nice medieval look. Then I can poach the king’s deer. This bow is hardly strong enough to be considered a military bow. Those kinds of weapons are for the future, and I’ve found that crossbows are as addictive as self bows, maybe even more so.

Offline Dane

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2011, 05:28:13 pm »
Oh, one last thing, here are two shots of an actual German hunting bow. While mine is not quite this fancy, this is the inspiration I have used as I make this little beast.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:31 am »
WOW......Looking fantastic...
I can't wait to see the finished product...
Oh...sorry I meant that Knight's Armoury site...

Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2011, 08:44:41 am »
Dane
Very cool project.  You always have something interesting that you are working on.  Great progress, and looking forward to more updates. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:39 am »
Jimmy, there is the link http://www.stormthewalls.kicks-ass.net/  Unfortuantely, the site is down, as it often is grrrr.

Thanks again for the compliments. I have finished gluing on the table facing, and will begin inletting the docorative stuff today. I have a lot of momemtum now, so I will press on and get this finished as soon as I can and not mess things up.

Rick, thanks! I will see you in June, and hopefully, you will be able to shoot this little beast at Woodbury.

Offline Dane

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
Well, got a lot of work done today, and it is not even 10 AM. It reminds me of those old Army recruiting commercials...."we get more done before 9 AM than most people do all day. Be all you can be."

Here is one shot of the quarrel rest slot, as I defined and deepened it. It isn’t perfect jointry by any means, but the decorated strip will hid the imperfect dovetail slot, and the quarrel rest itself looks a bit like a front site, but what it does is minimize drag on the quarrel as it leaves the weapon. It may be hard to see, but the nose of the bow slopes down, and the quarrel rest will have a slot filed into it once I determine the diameter of the quarrels for this weapon. The rest has a very tight fit, so I can tap it to adjust for windage as I shoot it in.

The plating is now finished and rough sanded.

Finally, I chiseled in the slot to inlay the decorative strip. I am less than pleased with the job I did, as there was some instances of wood grain tear, but I plan to hide that by mixing sawdust and glue together and making a kind of paste to fill in the tiny gaps. I probably should have skipped this step for a first weapon, but it looks pretty, and I like the strange paradox of highly decorated, beautified killing machines.

I think I am about done for today. I will continue inlaying the decorative strip this week, and then can do the final sanding after touching up gaps in the inlay areas. Expect to see more posted this week, as I make a binding block and get ready to bind the prod and stirrup to the weapon. The stirrup still needs some work, but that is pretty easy if labor intensive filing and polishing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »
Last shots of this process, ugly little gaps and all :)

Dane