Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Snakey arrows

(1/3) > >>

Justin Snyder:
I want to make some snakey arrows.  I know Pat B has a few and I am sure some of the rest of you do. How about showing us some pictures, and tell us what you think makes a good snakey arrow.  Where do you put the cock feather, and do you spine them similar to your regular arrows? Thanks Justin

Pat B:
Justin. There are 2 types, shooters and wall hangers. With sourwood I look for the appropriate shoot. They are as hard to find as a good snaky stave. I spine them just like any other arrow. The cock feather goes on the stiffest side.
   You can probably create a snaky arrow with a little heat.  As long as the nock and point line up and the arrow spins true it will fly.   Pat

Justin Snyder:
Pat, do you need about 4" at the point end to be strait, so it points at the target when you are at full draw? Or how about 6" at the back so the fletches are strait?  Does the center need to line up with the tips, like the handle on a bow? The tips of a horse shoe line up if you look from the right perspective.  ;D Justin

duffontap:
Wait, you shoot them?  I always thought those were just for show. 

J. D. Duff

Pat B:
There are 2 on my card. One is for show, the other(red fletching) shoots very well.
  Justin. Most of the snaky ones I've done were only snaky at the point end. The snakes can start right behind the point. The fletching end has to be somewhat straight because the fletching are for steering. When done, I put the point on my finger and sight down the shaft while spinning the shaft from the nock. You can see whether the plane of the shaft is true. If the point and nock are in the same plane, what's in between can be quite crooked. ;)    Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version