Author Topic: How do you sharpen a drawknife  (Read 16321 times)

Offline wodpow

Re: How do you sharpen a drawknife
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 01:27:14 am »
I have a hard  stone I use with a little fine oil just a couple slow even swipes every now and then will be fine just remember you have to keep the stone flat to the blade other wise you will round over the cutting edge and defeat the purpose.i thought about checking the blade angle and mount the stone some how into a jig and lock the blade in the jig and use a Diamond stone when you find a old blade that needs some real edge work.  Now I use a good file to redo the edge on  a draw knife that has been neglected like hanging from a old rusty  nail in a old shed and not being touched  for over fifteen years you know what I mean .

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:13 am »
I use an 80 grit sanding belt wrapped around a board. Just take a few strokes with the bevel down and then a light pass to clean the other side.  Works for me. I learned it from a bow making video I bought several years ago.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline wodpow

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:04 am »
I have never used a dulled tool when me draw knife starts to dull after say dressing five or six staves down to dry It will start to pulling up wood and when it starts to not come out of a big bite by pulling up on the handles  it's time to hit the edge just a touch is all it takes I did use a leather belt with brown stick polishing compound and cut my hand pretty bad now I don't do that anymore.