Author Topic: How do you sharpen a drawknife  (Read 16322 times)

Offline osage outlaw

How do you sharpen a drawknife
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »
I'm down to one sharp drawknife and figured it was time to learn how to sharpen them.  What is the best/easiest way to do it?  Do you work on both sides, or just one?  Thanks for the help.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: How do you sharpen a drawknife
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:22 pm »
It depends on the bevel...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:12:57 pm »
The flat side will not sharpened. The so-called mirror site is only polished at the grinding stone so that the sharpening burr disappears. Sharpen only the cutting phase with an wet-grinder.

Bernhard

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
iv never sharpend a draw knife and i wont  no need to they say it gets better with age   brock

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:59:21 pm »
Check out this you-tube video, or some of the other related ones. There's quite a few tricks to pick up.

With a draw knife, as the others are saying, you should mainly sharpen the upper side of the blade - the side that has already been grinded. The final sharpening/polish should be done to both sides, but only lightly on the underside - just enough to remove the burr from sharpening the upper side.

Using and keeping the tools sharp is really one of the more enjoyable sides to this craft, and well worth the effort. Both efficiency and quality goes up with sharp tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYnFL3zCYUY

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »
I agree that a drawknife needs to be sharp.  Not dull as some say.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:16:42 am »
I have worked hundreds of osage staves, with green staves a sharp draw knife is desirable with seasoned staves a draw knife with a lesser angle than commercially produced draw knives and slightly dull seems to work better.  But like most things personal preference will rule the day.  The best draw knife for working seasoned osage is made from an old file and purchased at a flea market in Ohio 20 years ago.  I keep my draw knives sharp by using a diamond hone and simply draw the blade towards myself at the correct angle then take the bur off the flat side.  A draw knife is simply a huge plane blade with handles.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:35 am »
I sharpen with a medium stone. I sharpen the beveled side keeping the same bevel. I use circular motions.  I turn the knife over and sharpen the other side keeping the stone flat against the back. Before I put the knife away I oil it by putting some oil on a paper towel  and running it over the knife. My knife was my father's and that'll be the day when I take a grinder or even a file to it. My knife is sharp and I've cut my finger doing this so exercise caution if you follow my advice. If you ever see a dull tool in my shop I'd sharpen it immediately. I'd never intentionally use a dull tool on anything. The only dull thing in my shop is me. I feel a rant coming on so I'm stopping this post. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:48:13 am »
   I read in an old woodworkers magazine that draw knives were designed to be dressed with a file that the woodworker would keep alongside his horse. My favorite is my double bevel drawknife. As said above some wood likes it sharp and some wood likes it not so sharp. Dull is not a good word. I may go through a dozen or so staves before dressing. Jim Hamm claims to have built 100 osage bows with a dull draw knife. Just personnal taste I guess. Also different woods respond differently. My spokeshave had seen several hundred staves before I hit an ancient nail and had to resharpen it. Steve

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:00 am »
I dont know much in the way of draw knives but a file is a great way to put a nice edge back on a blade. Follow that with a stone if your so inclined but I usually dont.
Its only wood

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:06 am »
I have a Block of Wood that I have stapled a sheet of 240 grit Emery Cloth to...and I just hold my Draw Knife at the same angle as the Bevel..and draw it like you are shaving wood...then turn it over and give it a swipe or two to knock off the rolled edge...that how I have always done it...beats a Grinder...Stone or File...and don't remove barely any steel to redo the edge
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
I just give it a couple of swipes with a bench stone,brings it right back (Like any other knife)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »
I start off on my belt sander and only sharpen one side.  I have three different drawknifes.  One dull, one razor sharp and one in between.  When taking osage down to a ring, I find a dull one is the ticket.  You can make some big mistakes with a razor sharp one. 
Westminster, MD

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »
   I read in an old woodworkers magazine that draw knives were designed to be dressed with a file that the woodworker would keep alongside his horse. My favorite is my double bevel drawknife. As said above some wood likes it sharp and some wood likes it not so sharp. Dull is not a good word. I may go through a dozen or so staves before dressing. Jim Hamm claims to have built 100 osage bows with a dull draw knife. Just personnal taste I guess. Also different woods respond differently. My spokeshave had seen several hundred staves before I hit an ancient nail and had to resharpen it. Steve

Badger, what type of spokeshave do u use?