Author Topic: An osage bow for Rocky  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: An osage bow for Rocky
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 10:22:18 am »
Thanks Josh and Pappy.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:46 pm »
Great looking bow! My head is just now I think getting back where I may start on another bow before long...starting to get the itch.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »
Nice bow.  Just enough character to make it interesting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline jimmy

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »
i'm glad to see you making bows Danny. we are a rare breed here in Kansas, so keep up the good work.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:19 am »
Thanks Jimmy, Marc and Greg.

Yeah we are are'nt we Jimmy. You know Mike wants to make his own and I have several other guys that  are talking like they want to give it a try so who knows one of theses days we may have our own tribe of bowyers running around these parts.

Marc   this stave was kind of an experiment. When I split it out of a larger one, I apparently started the split on the wrong end and ended up with a a stave split that was 1/2" wide on one end and 2" wide on the other. Thing is, the 1/2" wide end looked like a well proportioned character pyramid limb. I decided to try and duplicate the other limb to match what had naturally split out on the other.  So I measured it every 2" and  drew it out as close as possible, being sure to follow the grain with the center line. It worked out pretty good. The biggest challenge for me on this one was it started out with quite a bit of deflex at the handle and some reflex on the outer limbs.  I had never worked a stave with that kind of deflex and reflex, so I was concerend with being able to stick the tiller  It lost most of the reflex in the tillering but the defrlex in the handle sure makes it draw smooth. I am thinking about having him let me heat treat it and flip the tips a little. but he likes it the way it is, so I may just leave it be.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God