Author Topic: hhb help  (Read 1597 times)

Offline iowabow

hhb help
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:17 am »
My neighbor has only hhb on his property and does not want to use my osage. The question is do you make a hhb bow the same way you do osage?
Do you chase a thick ring down the back? I looked at the wood he cut down and it is hard to see a ring.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Cacatch

Re: hhb help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:15 am »
Noooooooo. You do not have to chase a ring and in fact I don't think anybody would recommend it. It usually does have thin/non-existant rings I think anyway. Just scrape the bark off the back and you're golden. I have yet to successfully make my first Hop Hornybeam but it is in the works and I have heard they make very good, fast bows. Some I have seen like it as good as Osage anyway.

CP

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:48:47 am »
great thanks for the help and other input from anyone would be helpful thank you. This web site is the best! people here are so helpful. One guy sent me a whole set of knapping tools in the mail ...I DIDNT EVEN ASK how cool is that!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:56:59 am »
HHB is excellent bow wood. Use it just like you would use hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »
I Have made several hhb bows...its great wood. Peel the bark and thats your back. Make sure you seal at least the ends because it likes to check. If you peel the bark while its green I seal the back also. I cut some in June and the bark popped right off....cambium and all!!!! Even in the winter it will come off really easy. I have quick dried hhb...green wood to bow in a month and a half.

Jon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:33 pm »
Made my first HHB bow this year.  It is great bow wood.  It seems very light in the hand.  Try to get a straight piece with little or no twist.  My stave was a gift from an old boss.  It had been in his heated garage for 8 or 9 years.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »
You should hop right to it. It is a very good bow wood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!