Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Still searching the "perfect arrow"

(1/2) > >>

lignum:
Hello Everbody,

comming with a maybe nerving question. But I´m still searching and try to make the possible best arrow for my bow.
I have a 64" yew-selfbow with light recurves and horn nocks. He pulls 48lbs by my draw of 27,5"
I heard, that you should take 10grs per lb bow strenght for saving the bow limbs.
Did that with cedar shafts, round about 470 -480grs,38-40 spine. Arrows flow, but in my opinion the arrows were to slow and to heavy.
Actually I shoot with Sitka shafts 380 -390grs, 42 spine. These are fly much faster and straighter, but they are a littlebit nervous.

All my shafts are 28" long with 100grs arrowheads and 3 x  4 - 5" feathers, mainly indian style or traditianal parabol.

Has anybody an idea, what possibilities I can test to make "the perfect arrow"

Regards
lignum

1/2primitive:
The arrows don't have to fly like darts to be effective. I have used 500 grain arrows through a 40 lb. bow, and within 15 yards it was fine.
I've got a lot of questions and comments......
    -Perhaps try making the arrows a bit longer.
    -By nervous do you mean they are kind of unstable?   If so, give it some more feather.
    -I would keep the arrows around 10 gpp.
    -Did you shoot any other bows before you started shooting selfbows?
       Sean

lignum:
Dear Sean,

Thanks for answer.

Started with an Elb for a very short time, than shot a modern Longbow, glass backed for roughly 1/2 year and the came back to wooden bows in case of, let me say, their own magic.
I understand, that heavier arrows are more stabil than lighter ones. But I try to get arrows, if possible, were I can shoot straight round about 30 yards, which is the average distance on 3D tournaments.

Do you think longer feather and longer shaft can effect it positive.

With nervous, I mean, somtimes the arrows goes to far left or right. It´s ,maybe also my release, but that symptom was less by heavier arrows,  so is my feeling.

Regards
Roger

Justin Snyder:
The 38-40 pound spine would probably be accurate, except you are using a lighter weight point. By going down to 100 grains (125 is the standard) you probably need to decrease the spine 5#.  Is the bow center shot?  Justin

1/2primitive:
btw, I'm not saying I am by any means an expert, that's just what I think.
    Sean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version