Author Topic: Wood Type ?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Wood Type ?
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:54 am »
 I found 2 saplings that are about the size of a coffee cup. One is Winged Elm and the other is American Elm. The Winged one is good and straight for 68" the other is straight 62". My question is are they worth cutting and if so how do I go about perserving and drying?

#2 Hickory. When you fell a tree about 8" dia. and quarter it do you just peel the bark and seal the ends?

I thank you in advance for the info. :)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Wood Type ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:59 am »
Hillbilly, with the hickory I would probably wait a couple weeks before taking the bark off. A lot of guys wouldn't. The bark comes off easier when freshly cut, but the chances of cracking or warping are a little greater.
I've never tried making a bow from a sapling no bigger around than a coffee cup. It can be done but might be difficult to chase a ring.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:12 am »
As for the hickory, the bark won't peel now like it will in the summer.  It clings pretty good.  It is easier to cut it in late summer then peel the bark.  The elm I am not sure about....you can make a bow but it may be a little tuff being smaller. 
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:19:36 am »
Like beetle said on the hickory,I would just seal the ends for now or wait till mid summer to cut.
The sapling just cut them and seal the ends. I have split them down the center and with the bark left on they will pull there thereself into backset,sometimes to much.I have seen the pull 6 inches or more. It's good insurance to seal any bare wood even tho it is not always necessary. If you spilt the down the center you will probably have to make a bend through the handle or glue a handle piece on. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:51:58 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:39 am »
Both the hickory and elm will debark easier after the growing season begins when the cambium is active. That usually starts in May here. Until them both will be difficult to remove the bark from.
  If you know for sure that all are growing straight(check the bark very well) you can saw the elm in half and seal the ends. Leave thebark on for now.   The 8" hickory should split out OK if it is growing straight(not spiraled).
  If you do remove the bark, seal the back. I know some don't do this but for me it is worth $.05 worth of spray shellac. I seal every exposed back no matter what type of wood or how dry it is.
   The time of year you peel the bark doesn't matter. The time of year you cut the wood does matter. If you cut the tree during the dormant season(from leaf fall until new leaves come out) the bark WILL NOT peel easily. But, if you cut the tree during the active growing season the bark will "slip" and come off easily. It is when the cambium layer(the only living part of the tree trunk) is actively growing that the bark will slip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC