Author Topic: Some questions about black locust.  (Read 3646 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Some questions about black locust.
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:39:38 am »
I've been eyeballing this tree for two years, it is a good sized black locust tree, at least I think is BL, about 18"- 20" across. My question where the thorns are I would imagine there would clusters of knots, do you try to split staves from in between the thorn clusters or work them into the bow like pin knots in osage? Never worked with BL before, what type of bow is it best suited to? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow before I cut it down.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Some questions about black locust.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11:46 am »
If it has thornes on the trunk it is probably honey locus,Black don't have them on the trunk.Could we see a picture ?  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:43 am »
Yep, what Pappy said. Sounds like you're talking about Honey Locust, which is not at all like Black Locust as far as bowmaking goes.

CP

Offline hook

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:55:29 am »
cacatch,
how so? what do you have to do different? I had read somewhere is was not as good as the black but don't know why.

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:14 am »
Well, as I understand it, the two tree species are not even truly related. As far as bows go, Black Locust is a lot stronger and makes a much better bow in most people's opinion. Myself, I have tried only a couple honey locust bows and neither came out right. I think I screwed the first one up by trying to chase a ring, and the second one I got to brace stage but found the wood very brash, weak and soft so I junked it out. BL wood is very hard and strong, the whitewood can be used in bows, but the best is the heartwood. The more yellow or greenish-yellow BL heartwood you have in a bow the better. Honey locust wood is softer and not as strong, but some have said if you do it right can still make a bow.  It really sounds like you have honey, and if so do not feel discouraged. If you have faith in the tree and your abilities, whack it down, split it out and go to work.  :)   Someday I might try another honey locust stave, but probably not as long as my BL supply holds out.

CP

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:11:48 am »
In the spring BL will have white flowers and like Pappy said no thorns on the trunk. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:30:04 am »
I will get a pic this morning.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:44 am »
If it has multi-spined thorn clusters coming from the trunk it is honey locust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:22 pm »
Yes like said, black locust only has thorns on the limbs. Usuallly small like rose bushes. There is an occasional one on the trunk, but rare!

Black has thick ,deep, furrowed bark,light brown in color. Honey has slick thin dark gray bark! Also look for seed, fruit pods, size of bananas, near the base of the Honey locust!

Honey locust has been used for self bows, and is used by glass bowyers, like Howard Hill in Montana.

I would look for something else, personally, thats a large tree to handle.

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »
Here is the pics, it is a big tree but it has to go either way either as firewood or bow wood or both.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:06:17 pm »
I may be wrong...but I believe that this is in fact a Honey Locust Tree....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »
Yep, that's a honey locust.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:29 pm »
Black Locust has thorns...but on the young Limbs...Honey Locust (not Hybrid Honey Locust) have Trunks that are loaded with large Purplish Thorns...still a good Bow Wood...just not as good as Black Locust...I have made three nice Bows from one tree I harvested.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »
Thanks guys, I am going to split out in the morning, and think I need to get a tree book to have with in the timber would make things easier.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »
The Audubon Field Guide to Trees(Eastern or Western Editions) are great tree ID books and available at most book store.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC