Author Topic: I need help on making a Bow bench???  (Read 8859 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

I need help on making a Bow bench???
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:34 pm »
Hi guys do any of u have pictures or plans to building a simple bow shaving horse ...I think thats whatu call em... I saw a pair up atJaimies archery camp once butthey were being occupied!  I mighthave to take a trip back up there and take some measurements and photos!  Hey guys thanks and have a nice day!  PM me if u have some good news otherwise post it!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jonathan creason

Re: I need help on making a Bow bench???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:01:01 pm »
Hey Russ, I've got a word document a friend of mine wrote up for a Bodger board style shave horse.  I'll send it to you in a PM or email.  If you're wanting the horsehead style I know there's plans floating around out there for them online.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
I got my design from an old PA magazine. There might be a build-along on the "How To" section.
  Mine was made with one 2x8x10' pine board and one 2x4x 8" pine board. I used collapsable saw horse leg clamps fro Lowe's for the legs. The knucklehead and treddle were made from scrap oak board.  I also used a screen door spring to keep the jaws open until I step on the treddle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »
Heres some plans from mine.

You might have to adjust the vertical platform support height to fit you.  Once the seat has legs on it and the platform is cut out,
sit on the bench and see what angle is comfortable for you.

Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:52:09 pm »
Thanx guys thatshould do!!!  I have been using a vise for a long time and since I wanted to sitdown and work on my bows!  Thanx so much for the help I appreciate it~~~!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
I love my bow bench for tillering but love my vise for rough work.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:44:14 pm »
I love my bow bench for tillering but love my vise for rough work.  ;)

With good traction between the bed and the clamping head, you can REALLY hog the wood with a sharp drawknife! 

I like using my bench at Rendezvous because as soon as I sit down there is a crowd to watch me work.  And I never have to clean up my site...everyone gathers up an armload of shavings for firestarter!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.