Author Topic: question about locust bow design  (Read 1284 times)

eorr

question about locust bow design
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:08:17 pm »
I want to make a locust bow that shoots 20# @ 28".  So my question is what do y'all think a good length, width, etc. would be for a long bow?  And what about a recurve?  I found a good thread with dimensions for a 55# @ 26" locust long bow (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2950.0.html), but being a newbie I wasn't sure how it would compare with dimensions for such a light draw weight.  Thanks for any advice.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: question about locust bow design
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »
You can't really build a wooden bow to weight by dimensions-every piece of wood is different. You have to start tillering and work it down until it's the weight you want. I would start with a piece about 62"-64" long, cahse a back ring, then lay out the width about 1 1/2" wide at the fades to 1/2" or less tips, and lay out the beginning thickness taper at a little over 1/2" at the fades tapering to around 1/4" at the tips. (For a stiff-handled bow,that is- if you want a bending handle, make it about the same length or longer and 1 1/8" -1 1/4" wide center to midlimbs tapering to 1/2" tips.) Get it bending good first, then reduce the weight to where you want it. My wife has a locust bow I made that she shoots a lot, it's around 28# @ 26", and those are close to the dimensions, leaving some extra thickness for tillering, of course.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

eorr

Re: question about locust bow design
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
Ok, that gives me a good starting point.  Thanks for the info.