Author Topic: Holmegaard ?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Holmegaard ?
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:56 am »
Has anyone made a holmegarrd with hickory or bamboo backed IPE?  Or for that matter any backed wood. I did see the osage hickory back build along, but was wondering about other backed woods for this style bow?

Offline Holten101

Re: Holmegaard ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:17 am »
I have made a bamboo (laminate) backed wych elm Møllegabet ("Holmegård")...and you can see several bamboo backed Ipe/bulletwood bows of this type in TBB (the mass principle section).

To behonest I cant report any advantages from my own laminated Møllegabet compared to selfbows of that type.

Cheers

(the whole Møllegabet/Holmegård definition have been discussed elsewere;-)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:52 am »
I'm sure it's do-able, but I wonder about the efficiency advantages.  Ipe can be made into such a narrow bow.  Less than an inch going down to very small tips that I don't know if the "levers" would really pay out.  I figure that design is great for whitewoods needing to be as wide as they are out of fades.  Just my two cents...
1’—>1’

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:27 am »
I'd have to agree. I made the hickory backed osage cuz that's what the customer wanted, but I think it's a waste of good osage. Holmies really excel with whitewoods, and my favourite is rawhide backed maple.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:14:07 am »
    I 've never did this but I saw a hickory,boo backed a few years ago at DENTEN HILL really looked nice.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:55:31 pm »
 I just posted a new thread about the one I just finished tillering and shooting. It's aWalnut backed Hard Maple, and shoots like a dream ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »
I made a BBO Holmie/Molle for my other half back in May 2008.  It turned out to be a screamer.  I posted it in PA Bows a while back but cant find it so here are a few highlights.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
There's an excellent bowyer on here, kviljo, who made one a few years ago and won a flight shoot with it. It was an awesome bow.