Author Topic: Cheap Wood  (Read 2718 times)

Offline DiGi

Cheap Wood
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:53 am »
Where can one find cheap wood?  I can't cut down any trees nearby because there is a forest preserve. Any other ideas?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cheap Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:40:53 am »
Red oak from Lowe's or Home Depot.   Check out George's site. It will tell and show you what to look for in a board.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:23 am »
find local saw mills
they usually have a variety of woods that are good for bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:41 am »
The above are all good suggestions, I am a bit bolder and would also try and find out who is in charge of the preserve and approach them about allowing limited permission to harvest a tree or two. One might also mention to the man in charge that you could make him a bow to show your gratitude. I did this once  with great success. Let them know that you are into making primitive bows and that it not for a commercial enterprise. If they are receptive I will usually ask the land owner if they want a wall hanger or one they can shoot so that I don't waste a killer shooter on someone that wants a decoration for their den.   Danny.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:50:35 am »
Find what kind of bow worthy trees are in your area and then start knockin' on some doors.  If osage grows in your area, you might be able to get access to that.  A lot of people in my area will let you cut it just to get rid of it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:06:06 am »
Call the local tree pruners. They will usually sell it to you at firewood prices.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:53 am »
Heya DiGi,
Something just occured to me.  You are in Buckthorn heaven.  Buckthorn is everywhere in the Chicago suburbs and it is INVASIVE.  I used to volunteer at my local forest preserve when I was up there removing the stuff to let the native trees - hickory, oak, etc. have a chance at regrowing as the buckthorn strangles out everthing.  I have read that Buckthorn is "the poor man's yew".  If I was living in that area still, I would be targeting that stuff big time for learning on.  Wish I could tell you for sure if it is a good bow wood, but perhaps others can chime in.  I would find some 2-3 inch diameter straight ones and start playing with the stuff.  Parks will be more than happy to let you remove it!

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline medic336

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:48:16 am »
Be careful with the buckthorn as the bark is a very powerful laxative and was banned over the counter by the FDA in 2002 due to a carcinogenic effect. Undried bark can cause extreme vomiting and explosive diarrhea.. Just a heads up to maybe save some suffering.

Offline medic336

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:24 am »
Alder Buckthorn charcoal is prized in the manufacture of gunpowder, being regarded as the best wood for the purpose. It is particularly highly valued for time fuses because of its very even burn rate.[1][8] The wood was formerly used for shoe lasts, nails, and veneer. The bark yields a yellow dye, and the unripe berries furnish a green dye. Info source is wikipedia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
I used to rummage through piles of tree trimmings on the days before the city would pick it up.  Now I just buy quality staves from reliable sellers.  Saves a lot of time.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »
Interesting - good advice Medic.  Probably still do-able without making sawdust, though?  Just a thought...
1’—>1’

Offline DiGi

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:42 pm »
Heya DiGi,
Something just occured to me.  You are in Buckthorn heaven.  Buckthorn is everywhere in the Chicago suburbs and it is INVASIVE.  I used to volunteer at my local forest preserve when I was up there removing the stuff to let the native trees - hickory, oak, etc. have a chance at regrowing as the buckthorn strangles out everthing.  I have read that Buckthorn is "the poor man's yew".  If I was living in that area still, I would be targeting that stuff big time for learning on.  Wish I could tell you for sure if it is a good bow wood, but perhaps others can chime in.  I would find some 2-3 inch diameter straight ones and start playing with the stuff.  Parks will be more than happy to let you remove it!

Parnell

That's awesome! The only bad thing is, if it was in the forest , it's gone now. They did a huge purge last summer and took out all the non-native trees and plants. How would I go about identifying it, and who would have it? I live in a southern suburb of Chicago so all the houses are close together and nobody has very much land.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:19:50 pm »
Well, I'd have a look for it on the internet.  Wikipedia usually can start you out.  From there, if you can take a drive to some other locations you will see it, I'm sure.  Find out what it looks like, then keep your eyes peeled.  It could be growing behind the Jewel, for all we know.
1’—>1’

Offline DiGi

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »
And they wouldn't care, sweet!

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »
look in the phone book under hardwood suppliers, they sell to custom cabinet builders, get ya some hickory, hard maple or oak, you will get a better price and get higher quality boards. Should get two or tree bows for $20.00. good luck
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹