Author Topic: First Mollegabet- can it be salvaged?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Hank

First Mollegabet- can it be salvaged?
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:43 am »
The pic tells the story. Drawn on the long string 6" @ 45 pounds checking for twist when I saw this. No noise, no tick, just there. Super glue and a small hardwood pin was my first thought. Follow that with a rawhide or sinew wrap, keep the draw weight at 40 lbs or less and maybe, just maybe we can save this one. Opinions? Suggestions?

Hank

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: First Mollegabet- can it be salvaged?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:48:35 am »
Which way is it bending? Looks to be bending in the wrong direction.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:34 am »
Hank,
   That check is right at the lever fade and runs down into the working limb....right? I've had a few do that, you can superglue the crack opening with the liquid stuff, clamp it side to side to close the check, then radius the working limbs sides pretty good. After that you can wrap it with hemp or some type of fine cordage and set that with superglue.....should come out like "new".
    On the early ones that did it to me, I'm fairly certain that it happened because I left the "sharp" edges where the back meets the edges. If you round those over well, that wont happen. This applies to quartersawn wood of course, as that's all I have built.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:07:13 am »
forgot to add, that the "weight" of the bow didn't cause it to happen, it was force concentrating at the lever butt from the sharp edges.....so you should still be able to maintain any weight you were shooting for.
rich

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:22:59 am »
The transition looks pretty abrupt from the picture. I can't get logged in on the other site so I couldn't get back to you. Looks like Mr. Rich is on it so you're in good hands.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Hank

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:02 am »
You're absolutely right Rich. It opened up at the fade/lever junction. Also, the wood is cut on the 1/4. The corners have about 0.050" radius worked in but apparently that's not enough? We have plenty of glue and fine jute cordage so looks like we can save this one? I was planning on tillering it to 60# @ 25". We'll do some repair work, stick to the original plan and see how it goes. Thanks!

Hank

<edit> Thanks Jeff. The transition is pretty steep. We'll take care of that while doing the repair.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:33:08 am by Hank »

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:17:12 pm »
Sorry Hank. It was too arly in the morn. and just looked at it wrong :-[ I feel pretty stupid now :(
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Hank

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
No worries mate. Been there myself.