Author Topic: compression strength??  (Read 3418 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
compression strength??
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:42 pm »
Hi everybody, I hope the holidays were good to all. I'm just sittin here thinkin, what wood has the strongest compression strength? I'd like to make a  short bow, 40-45" range, but would like to experiment with how narrow and thin I could get it, and still be in the 45-50# range. Does sinew, flax, or any other kind of natural material help with compression strength. Thanks for the input.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: compression strength??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »
Osage I think has the highest. Sinew would help with tension strength (back). Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
Sounds like you are wanting a horn bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:40:10 pm »
I'm sure some others will correct me if I am wrong, but if you are wanting narrow and thin, then tension strength will be your limiting factor, rather than compression strength.  Sinew and flax won't help with compression, although if you use a strong compression wood with weak tension strength, you can make it narrower with a backing such as those.  I have read that horn is great in compression, but is super labor intensive.  You might try talking to Ed Scott about that if you can. 

For your first question, I dunno what has the highest compression strength.  Osage likely.  Maybe ERC or some other juniper? 

Sounds like a fun project.  Enjoy!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »
Thanks for the input. Yes horn would be the best, but horn is not in the budget at the moment, and i've never worked with it. So, I wanted to experiment with all wood, just for fun. ;)
Rockford, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:04 pm »
     O'sage,no sinew won't help.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:59:29 pm »
Ipe is the wood for a short powerful bow like this.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:13 am »
It is not likely to be Osage.  Osage does have high compression strength but what it is more known for is it's elasticity.  Ipe has very high compression strength but I think that African Blackwood has one of the highest compression strengths along with Lignumvitae.  Now understand that high compression strength does not necessarily mean a wood will make a good bow.  Wood also needs to be elastic and it is a very elastic wood that will make a great bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:48:53 am »
  I read somewhere that black locust has the highest compression strength. But that is straight down compression strength, not bending compression strength. It was used for grinding stone bearings I think.   It is brittle and doesn't have the elasticity which makes it susceptable to fretting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:10 am »
I've made quite a few hickory backed ipe D bows.  I think it would be a good thing to fiddle with.  I bet you could do a 52-55 inch D bow and D cross-section, very narrow tips for a slightly shorter draw, I dunno 24-25 inches at that weight that could be very efficient at an inch of width, probably less...
Just use a piece of ipe that looks free of any defects in the grain.

I've been thinking of making a shorter one like this for a short draw with arrows maybe at 27" or so.
1’—>1’

Offline Holten101

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:24 am »
Im with Marc on this one...compression strenght alone wont help you much. Drawlenght and stack will be serious limiting factors too. If you want a backed wooden bow (horn might fit your needs better) then considder elastic wood like Yew and Juniper (sinew backed)...but dont expect drawlenght much longer than 22-24"

Cheers

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
It sounds like I need some Ipe. I'm thinking something laminated, as opposed to a self bow, so a thin layer of ipe on the belly side might help with compression, and maybe some osage for the backing. I"ll give it a go and see what happens. I 'll post some pics at some point, whether it blows up or shoots, i"ll let you all know. Thanks again.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
A narrow self bow will put a lot of strain on the wood: in compression, shear, and tension.  Ipe would be best, IMO.  Make the belly more narrow than the back.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:51 pm »
Osage will make the narrow bows because it has one of the highest densities of the domestic woods. Osage has a very high elasticity too. Suggested reading is TBB 1...Tim Baker's chapter on design. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!