Author Topic: r/d bow ?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline swimbill

r/d bow ?
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »
I would like opinions on this plan.  I have some ipe boards I plan to resaw into 1/8 inch slats 1 inch wide. I would like to glue them into a r/d bow. I am looking for 40-50#  at 29.  The grain is very straight.  How many layers should I use and what glue should I get?  Also does this bow need to be backed?  I never made a bow like this, so any help would be appreciated.
swimbill

Grunt

Re: r/d bow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »
Saw the Ipe 3/8 by 1 1/4. Mark out the center and go 5 inches at 3/8 either way to leave a 10 inch by 3/8 center section. Taper from the end of the center section to 3/16 at the tips and then glue bamboo backing on in a form to get your reflex. There are lots of ways to skin this cat. These are just what I have done.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:52:16 am »
Grunt thanks for the advice.  When you say taper are you talking about tapering the sides or the belly or both. also what kind of glue I have used titebond on previous bows but not on ipe.
swimbill

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »
TB3 works fine on Ipe.  I have been wiping it down with acetone - nail polish remover, first.
1’—>1’

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:21 pm »
Grunt thanks for the advice.  When you say taper are you talking about tapering the sides or the belly or both. also what kind of glue I have used titebond on previous bows but not on ipe.
swimbill

tapering the belly on the Ipe. Do a search on tapering bamboo on this site. Might be a build along in here also.