Author Topic: Lemonwood on the East Coast?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Lemonwood on the East Coast?
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:39 pm »
Mods can movethis if needed.....
I'm looking at building a couple of ELB's and would like to use some lemonwood for the bellywood.
Whre can I find it long enough?

I guess it doesn't HAVE to be lemonwood, but it seems to be commonly used.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lemonwood on the East Coast?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »
Lemonwood can be very hard to find these days because of the Cuban imbargo. Lemonwood(Degame) is indiginous to Cuba and parts of Central America. There might be a supplier or 2 here in the US but I don't know who that would be.
   Hickory backed ipe would make a great ELB.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »
Lemonwood can be very hard to find these days because of the Cuban imbargo. Lemonwood(Degame) is indiginous to Cuba and parts of Central America. There might be a supplier or 2 here in the US but I don't know who that would be.
   Hickory backed ipe would make a great ELB.

I have a supplier for yellowheart and I've heard of that being used as well.  I have and purpleheart-bloodwood-paudauk etc. GOOD IPE....not so much!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »
some specitly wood suppliers can get it for ya some bowyers in england will sell ya  a stave  be ready to pay a arm and leg for it id go with osage maulberry yew ipe or somthing here befor id spend that much for lemon wood id use yew i have a few slats of it but i got it free some years ago  brock

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:05 pm »
Hehe Cuban embargo.  Not that I've found any on this side of the border.

Lots of other woods you can use though.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:23:28 pm »
some specitly wood suppliers can get it for ya some bowyers in england will sell ya  a stave  be ready to pay a arm and leg for it id go with osage maulberry yew ipe or somthing here befor id spend that much for lemon wood id use yew i have a few slats of it but i got it free some years ago  brock
Being from the frozen North, all these woods are at a premium here....Yew is non-existant on the EC. Osage I can ship in , but not in lengths over about 68in. The shipping is brutal to say the least, so I'll have to figure something else out.
Thanks.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »
bro  iv got 36 set s yew billetts  36-48"long some heartwood some w/sap i could trade ya a set or somthing if ya can get the shipping right  send me a p m if ur intreasted  brock