Author Topic: Mulberry Bush Bow  (Read 12278 times)

Offline gmc

Mulberry Bush Bow
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:39:01 am »
Alright, been on the injured list for a few months and just now being pulled back into action for another assignment, otherwise I'd be just looking at everyone else's bows because its easier  ;D

A very fine gentlemen ask for a bush bow similar to the one I posted a few months back. I am pretty close to finishing the bow and took a few pictures along the way since my one bow a month has turned into "one every now and then". ::)

Here's where I started with this bow. I had a nice big chunk of red mulberry harvested in March of last year, large tree of about 14 inches in diameter.

I always remove the sapwood and heat correct early on if needed, there was a little work to do with this stave. I used a dry heat to take the deflex out of the one limb.

Here's the stave after heat correcting.

I then chased down two more rings to build the back of the bow with removing more mass on the belly. This bow will be short for its draw length so it needs a good thick ring to support the back.

Central Kentucky

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Mulberry Bush Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:13:00 am »
looking good, hope you get better too
Genesis 27: 3

Offline ohma

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:03 am »
keep them pics comin.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:05 am »
looks like an excellent start , glad to see you posting again!

Offline NTProf

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
I love the background of the last picture - looks like a Christmas card setting!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
As said above, you have made a good start. Just take your time and keep posting pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:15:47 pm »
What bow dimensions and draw length are you aiming for?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »
looks good so far  love thaqt maulberry  brock

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:29:11 pm »
Looking good. With that reflex it should be quick. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:47:29 pm »
Thanks, guys.

I'm still catching pictures up. Here's the bow off the tiller tree, I did manage to hang on to a little reflex.  ;D This little bow is doing a lot of work for its length and draw weight. The bow is 58-inches ntn pulling 60 lbs. @28.5. I originally had it tillered for 67 or so but decided to take it down a little at the last minute. Here's the flat profile of the bow before I install the handle wrap.

Here's the front profile of the bow. I've been working with this design for about a year now. It's bends slightly through or up to the handle. I went a little wider this time to 1 5/8 being a tad conservative. Because of the extra width I will need to build up the handle area on the belly, normally I don't do this. The bow finished at a mass of 15.3 oz..

Jawge, it is pretty quick.  ;D

I will post some more pictures shortly.

Central Kentucky

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »
GMC, that is looking great. Love that style and with the slight bend through it should be a great bush bow. Profile is excellent ;) Looking forward to seeing that thing bent. ;)  Hey what part of Kentucky are you in. Lulyn's sister lives in Borea. So maybe on one of our trips down there we can hook up for some shooting.

Offline gmc

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »
Thanks, Keenan.

I live about 2 hours from Borea (122 miles) but it may be a lot closer depending on which way your traveling in to Borea. I live in Clay City, about 40 mins. from Lexington and if your traveling I-75 it would be much closer. The next time you're traveling send me a pm and I will take a day off work or whatever it takes to string bow with you. ;D Maybe I will have a decent bow to shoot by then with some able arms to string one. I was really hoping to keep this one but I got a feeling its headed for the west coast.  ::)
Central Kentucky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43:22 pm »
Nice simple design. I am working on a locust bow similar to this one but mine is 65" long. I like the cut in handle area.
  Are your fades 2" to 3" on either side of a 4" handle?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:18 pm »
Thanks Pat.

Locust is fine bow wood for these parts.

I use 3 inch fades with a 4 inch handle. But those fades are going to work right up to the handle. The inner 3rd is held pretty straight buy design because I want to hold that area just a little stiffer even thou it bends. I like somewhere between elliptical and circular tiller with this design. The 3 inch fades really open up the sight picture for the archer, too.

Yes, very simple design.  ;)
Central Kentucky

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:26 pm »
VERY nice bow GMC, I really like your bows!
Nate Danforth