Author Topic: Questions on how to handle reflexing tips and straightening body of bow???  (Read 19604 times)

Offline 1776J

Re: Questions on how to handle reflexing tips and straightening body of bow???
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »
Pat,

One very IMPORTANT thing I forgot to ask you in regards to heat bending is this...

If I apply vegetable oil (or any other oil) to the belly as I heat bend, will this affect the ahearing of sinew when I got to sinew it later on?
I had spoken to Mike Yancey a while back about this and he said he had issues with it at some point, so I thought I'd get a few opinions and techniques so I can best choose what direction to go.

Thanks much! ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:13 pm »
I've not had problems before. I do clean the oil off with acetone or alcohol before doing any sinewing.  Most of the wood that has been oiled will be removed as you tiller the bow. The oil doesn't go very deep into the wood.
  When you sinew a bow the sinew goes on the back. When I bend wood I put oil on the belly and sometimes the sides. Very little, but some oil does get on the back but a good degreaser should remove it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1776J

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:59:09 pm »
I've not had problems before. I do clean the oil off with acetone or alcohol before doing any sinewing.  Most of the wood that has been oiled will be removed as you tiller the bow. The oil doesn't go very deep into the wood.
  When you sinew a bow the sinew goes on the back. When I bend wood I put oil on the belly and sometimes the sides. Very little, but some oil does get on the back but a good degreaser should remove it.

Exactly,.. my thinking was...

"if the oil is applied to the belly, why would it affect the back where you will be placing sinew?"  ???

I didn't understand what I had heard previously, but I'm green on experience then again.

I'll go the grease and bend rout then.  ;D

Now to go make some forming bucks!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »
Well, I took down the limbs to 3/4" inch thick right up to the fade areas on both limbs.
I left the center thicker to allot for the handle.

Took the forming buck I made, turned it on it's side and used the base to heat straighten the side bend, at least the first stage of straightening the side bend?
Used my trusty heat gun and a bit of vegetable oil on the belly and heated her up starting in the center and working out to the limbs on either side.

Here's what I have thus far,...I'm letting it stay in the jig until around this time tomorrow just to give it time.

In the first photo (top view) it appears that the center may need to be brought down after a shim on either limb in set in place??  I'm not "entirely" sure about it though, so any feedback in greatly appreciated.
I know these are only photos, and there are sometimes optical illusions created through the lens of a camera. 
But,... here's what I have...

Thanks in advance!  ;)

Offline 1776J

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
After the straightening.... had to heat it up several times, but what an improvement  from what it was!!! :)
(Sorry, I failed to take a photo of it after I pulled it from the straightening jig)

Anyway,....
I decided to throw her onto the forming buck to reflex the tips.
Went slow, took my time, applied a decent amount of vegetable oil now and then, (but not to much), and kept the heat gun moving now and then from the spot needing to bend, to and fro,
spreading out the heat evenly as possible.  Just kept adding one c-clamp after another, but took it slowly!

Here's the set up as I went (used tin foil to keep the heat in and let it cool slowly....)

(The cat decided to check things out,.....the Lab couldn't be bothered!) :)

The bend after I removed the foil,....(I was pretty much trying to keep the last 3" stiff, that's the plan.)
of course it bent back just a bit after I removed the c-clamps, but it took fairly well.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:04:57 pm by 1776J »

Offline 1776J

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 10:08:21 am »
Well,..
gonna have to put this project aside,...

WE JUST HAD OUR LITTLE BABY BOY AT 5:10AM THIS SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!

WEIGHS 6 LBS., 3 OUNCES,.... 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'M IN COMPLETE AWE!,....
 :o :o :o :) :) :) :)

Now for some serious sleep!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:56 am »
 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8) CONGRATULATIONS!!!    I guess we'll let you slide for a while.  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snag

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »
Congratulations! Yep, better get some sleep...while you can! Before you know it you'll be building a  kid's bow too.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
Wow, congratulations!!!  Good priority call.  There'll be time for bows in a bit.   ;D ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 1776J

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 03:09:06 am »
Thanks everyone!!!!