Author Topic: question??  (Read 3964 times)

Offline thomas h

question??
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »
 i have been shooting trad bows ever since i could tie a string to a stick  im 64 now and  i wonder  not  being an avid bow hunter what  poundage  bow  is min fpr  hogs  my son  bought some  property  in  southern  Missouri and  it is  swarmed with feral hogs  i would  like to  help  him eradicate a few but i do not want to  use a rifle  so  with a  well placed shot  is a 45lb  with  good  points
adequate understand  pigs have an armor thick side  in  front.quarter.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: question??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:30:08 pm »
A 45 pound Draw Bow should be adequate to do in a Feral Hog...just as long as Shot Placement is perfect...Hogs are Tough As Nails
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline thomas h

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »
thanks  maybe i should consider a  heavier bow  i can  place the shots fairly well but  i do not want  to  just stick one and  have it dye slowly clean quick kill is mandatory  these  hogs can be shot at 15 yards  if your quite and upwind.with  good concealment

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:51:32 pm »
I would feel comfortable with a 45 pound Bow...maybe some of these Hog Slayers will chime in and give you some better information...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:12:34 pm »
Good broadside shot with a 45# bow is great.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »
As long as you avoid that shield on the boars, you should be fine. Try to take quartering-away shots to get under that impenetrable shield. And the vitals on a hog are a lot more forward than on a deer, heart and lungs are almost under the shoulder.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »
 A broadside shot is going to be an "iffy" shot if it has a thick shield  with a #45 bow. You need a quartering away shot to sink it in the chest good. James Parkers friend Terry, killed one this past weekend that was 220# and the shield was over 2.5" thick. You will need some very sharp broadheads.

Unless you go for a head shot ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »
Any one here made a head shot?? >:D ::)
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:42:11 pm »
Eddie's not picky, he shoots them at both ends.  :D  Seems to work pretty good too!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:40:52 pm »
Any one here made a head shot?? >:D ::)

I suspect you didn't expect anybody to admit to that, but sadly yes I have, and it didn't work :-[.  I got greedy after shooting a nice little sow of about 50lbs and tried to get another.  Don't know if I lost concentration or what, but the arrow hit right at the back of the ear.  I expected him to drop right there, but he just ran off looking like he had one of the arrow gag things on with half the arrow sticking out on each side.  It must've bugged him and he shook his head until it flew out and then ran off as though it had never happened.  Pigs are tough customers.  Their anatomy is a little different than a deer's.  Here's a link to the TexasBoars forum where they have lots of info on hog hunting which shows the vitals in great clarity: http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html.  It also shows how my shot behind the ear just went through some muscle there.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »
Actually I was referring EDDIE who actually made a between the eyes head shot dropping the pig instantly.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »
Ah, an inside joke. :)  Well, he has my respect if he got the pig.  The skull there is VERY thick.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
 I'd build a trap and catch 'em all.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington