Author Topic: Beaver tail handle wrap  (Read 9882 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

Beaver tail handle wrap
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »
I have just acquired some beaver tails from a trapper friend,  i read in a magazine that they make good handle wraps but cannot find the article.  Does anyone have a good process? or some advice on how to go about it?  I can imagine that they would be relatively waterproof and also have a nice natural pattern :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline bubby

Re: Beaver tail handle wrap
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:33:58 pm »
I thought I saw one in the build-a-longs some time ago, ya might do a search there, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »
Thanks Bubby! :D ill do that
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline wildman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »
Trad archer mag had a build along back in the fall . A beaver is like skinning a bowling ball a tail is like skinning a cannon ball.Keep your knife sharp and your fingers numbered. I'll try to find the issue, but I think its sept/oct 2010
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
A trapper buddy of  mine just brought me a tail a little while ago.  Splitting and fleshing it weren't too terribly difficult, but scraping that fat right under the hide is proving to be a PITA.  Called it quits becaue I got a little careless with my knife and dang near lost a knuckle.  I guess I'll wait till I get home and can tack it up to finish.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:57 pm »
I've used beaver tails a couple of times for bow handles. They were already dried and salted when I got them. I washed the salt off and wet the tails same as I would leather prior to putting them on. I used kangaroo lacing at the top, bottom, and front of the handle...have to be careful not to pull the lacing too tight as the holes will tear out fairly easy.

I won BOM with one bow (Dogwood Blossom) was the name of the bow. I think it was 2009 when it was listed.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »
Thanks alot GregB!  Thats pretty much what i am going for :D Beaver tail with kangeroo lacing, a truly unique handle, very nice work!  Does the moist tail shrink very much when its drying on the handle?? im worried ill stitch is tightish and itll shrink enough to tear the skin.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:49 am »
It did not shrink very much...I also put a light coat of TBII on the handle area as part of the process which I think would keep the grip from moving much if it shrunk. I had already completed the lacing around the top and bottom of the grip, and had the front loosely laced to slide onto the limb from the end. I also after the lacing is tightened on the front, I wrap the grip tightly with something that won't leave impressions after the leather drys. I tore an old bed sheet into a long strip about 1-1/2" wide and wrapped with that letting the grip dry at least overnight.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Bighornangler

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »
 :) A friend of mine has acquired some Beaver tails which he fleshed out and put Borax on them. He says that they are stiff as a board. What would be the best way to soften them before using them on bow handles?
New Jersey

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
:) A friend of mine has acquired some Beaver tails which he fleshed out and put Borax on them. He says that they are stiff as a board. What would be the best way to soften them before using them on bow handles?

A soak in warm water softens them right up.  You're lucky your buddy did the hard part for you.  Removing that layer of fat without cutting through the skin is not very fun :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:07 pm »
  I've used warm water and also denatured ALC. I've also got one that had been taned useing a kit I was told.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:18:02 am »
I got some soaking in a snake skin tan (Glycerin and alcohol). If it works out I'll let everybody know. I caught some beavers this winter that where over 70lbs and have a freezer full of tails and hude I need to take care of.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 04:11:05 pm »
I saw a link here to a guy that did a few years ago. I loved the way It looked. So I got a tail and and skinned the beaver and all. and now I still have the dried leather from the tail with a little of the rawhide or fat still on it. And yes removing it without cutting the leather is no fun..

How do you treat the beaver tail so it can be used. I dont have any beaver brain to tan with and dont no any other method. Well maybe that eggs,oil and mayonaise method from youtube. but I havent tried that.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:29:37 pm »
I finished one up in the glycerin solution. worked pretty good. I'm gonna try it in a tanning solution I got from a trapper supply and see which is better. I'll let you know.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway