Author Topic: BBI finally done- (Pics) Not for BOM  (Read 1851 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

BBI finally done- (Pics) Not for BOM
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
Finally finished my first boo backed Ipe. This is my first boo backed bow and my first Ipe. I had to crawl up a steep learning curve for this one but definitely worth it! It's 61.5" nock to nock, 63" overall, 50lbs  at 28", a touch over one inch at fades. Glued in relflex was 5" and holds 7/8" after tiller. I got a little hinge close to a tip early on and mostly left the tips alone so they ended up wider than I wanted.  I also thought it was a little too whip-ended early on and did what I could. Let me know what you think about the tiller.[/img]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:06:16 pm by ShinneryOak »

Offline NTD

Re: BBI finally done- (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »
Good effort for your first BBI. 

I would say that this is a classic example of whip tiller.  The last 3rd of your bow is doing nearly all the work.  On your next one really get that mid and inner limb working.  I would reccomend trying a tillering gizmo.  On a straight profile bow like this they really help eliminate the guess work on where to scrape.
Nate Danforth

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:27:55 pm »
I just have one question.  How does it shoot?  I am going to start one myself, shortly.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:41:57 pm »
It shoots well with no hand shock which I guess is the one advantage of whip ends. Haven't been able to shoot it much yet.  I did try to compensate by taking wood only off the inner limbs, but wanted to stay at 50lbs. I am now spoiled to bamboo and Ipe and will try again.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:35:17 am »
How did you do the glue up? 5" of glued in reflex on ipe is extreme. And a net of 7/8 is a mystery , especially considering the middle 2/3 isnt working much.
 if it aint broke dont fix it, learn and make another. like the handle wrap.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »
I would probably almost exclusively make hickory- or bamboo-backed IPE bows if the stuff wasn't so hard to work.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:13:48 pm »
N2, I Perry reflexed it. The tips were 5" up on blocks. I didn't glue on a handle , used leather to build up under the grip later. The flat handle let me clamp it down to the bench. It  took some set in the outer limbs during tillering, but still with it unstrung the back is 7/8" off the floor. I had read Marc St. Louis's article a few months ago who said with ipe you're lucky to hold a couple inches reflex with 5 initially. ( I think- now I can't find the article)