Author Topic: A formal introduction and handle change  (Read 15662 times)

Offline FlintWalker

A formal introduction and handle change
« on: May 09, 2007, 12:14:40 am »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself. My name is Shannon Walker and I live in south central Kentucky. I've  been on some of the other sites for a couple years as "wsm coyote" and decided to join this site with a more meaningful name, Saw Filer ( I fix saws for a living ) I'm 31 years old and hopefully in a few days my wife and I will have a healthy baby boy.   I don't know much about self bows but I have made couple. I'm working on another one. I was at the TN Classic this year and met some of you. Ryano, DCM, Ridgerunner, Minuteman, Pappy, Greg, Mr. Bernier, Calendergirl and several others whose names I didn't get. Anyway, I think you all have a wonderful site and am happy to be here. BTW, I hope you all are patient people, I like to ask LOTS of questions!  Hello Again, Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A formal introduction and handle change
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:11:21 am »
You have to be a patient person to build wood bows. I just completed a very trying example. >:(
 Welcome to PA, Saw Filer. Sounds like with an occupation like you have, we might keep you around. ;) Got any bow pics to show us? ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:53:28 am »
Hi Pat, I think I remember you. Do you have a beard? I believe I spoke to you on saturday just before supper. The only bow pics I can find are of my second one, it's my little osage bow. I had it with me saturday. It's 59" ntn and d
draws 52# @ 27"  Maybe in a few days i'll have another one to show ya'll. SW        Well it seems all of my pictures are too big so as soon as I figure out how to resize them i'll post some.  Any suggestions?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:01:56 am »
Set your camera for the lowest quality photo. In mine that is 640x480 which is perfect.
When I see your face I'm sure I'll remember you. Yes, I was the  bearded American at the Classic. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:28 am »
Welcome aboard.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:35:23 am »
Do you sharpen crosscut saws??

I have two that I recently inherited. They belonged to my great grandfather and need to be sharpened.
Other than that they seem to be be very good shape.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

DCM

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:42:39 am »
Hey Shannon.  Was good to meet all of ya'll at Clarkesville.  Looking forward to next year.

Congradulations on your impending birth!  Hope all goes well, 10 fingers and toes, all like that.  Get you some sleep bro.  You gonna need it.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:10:18 am »
I have sharpened a couple crosscuts back when I was in school but my job is to maintain the band saws for a big hardwood lumber co. The saws are 40' long x 11" wide x .078 thick.   I been at it for 11 years and only had stitches once so I figure i'm doing alright..
  DCM, i'm already loosing sleep so I don't even want to think about what it's gonna be like in a few days..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:25:59 am »
Welcome, Saw Filer. Nice to have you join us on this wonderful site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:12:57 am »
"Do you have a beard?"  That applied to 50% of the people there, excluding women (there was only a few of those).  Its only slightly more informative than "were you wearing a hat?".

Welcome Shannon.  Glad you're getting in the selfbow game, sounds like you have an "in" as far as procuring wood.  Lots of good staves in the stuff they cut off the outsides of hardwood logs.  What species does your company handle?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:15:29 am »
One other thing, what does "wsm" stand for?  That your favorite radio station?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 11:33:18 am »
Welcome aboard Shannon and congrats on soon to be baby

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Minuteman

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 12:25:04 pm »
WSM stands for winchester short magnum, his favorite coyote rifle at the time he registered with PA the first time. Saw filer is a cooler name I think though.   It was funny Saturday him and his brother showed up at the classic , parked up top and started down the hill. They got to Me and Paul's spot and sidled on over for a little yakkin. Ended up hanging out for a while . He said" Man we've been here an hour and we ain't covered fifty yards yet!" They were there long enough I found myself talking like 'em . ;D
 Turkey hunting fools them two. One likes big spurs( Shannon) and his brother will shoot anything with a beard. Works out purty good far as I can tell. Glad to have you around Shannon.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:52:44 pm »
I met Shannon briefly, didn't notice his spurs though.  hehe
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:34:30 pm »
Tom, we saw red oak, white oak, hickory, ash, poplar, hard and soft maple, walnut, cherry, and a little beech.  We throw away wood every day, that i'm sure a lot of people would love to have.  If anyone ever needs some smaller pieces of any of the above, say from 10 to 36" long I may be able to help you out. Just let me know. SW