Author Topic: taking the bark off maple stave  (Read 2463 times)

Offline tgr

taking the bark off maple stave
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:11:34 pm »
I have a 72 " maple stave hand split.  I took off the outer bark and sealed the ends with glue.  THere is an inner layer under the bark.  I assume I am taking this off to get to the wood.  Is it easier now and will the stave dry faster with this layer removed? THanks ahead for any response. Tom R

Offline bryan irwin

Re: taking the bark off maple stave
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »
how dry is the stave? i made a elb from maple and after i removed the bark i sanded it off.
bryan irwin

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:37 pm »
I would assume this is the cambium, I have'nt worked with maple but I know most white woods have a cambium and some of that can be left on for character.  Anyone else have a comment, correct me if I'm wrong.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »
If it is still green, SEAL THE BACK OF IT BEFORE READING ANY FURTHER!!

If it is already cured, then go ahead and use a scraper/knifeblade to scrape off the cambium.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:33:58 pm »
The cambium should be pretty thin. Anything thicker than a sheet of paper is last years growth ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tgr

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:47 am »
It's still green.  I'll leave the back as is.  I started to take this layer off. Seal it with poly. spreads easier. How long to dry?  4" wide 3" thick, 72" long.  I keep it in my basement near a wood burning stove.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »
Unless you are not ready to make a bow right now, I would cut it down to bow size, just enough to get some bend in the limbs -  floor tiller, leaving the limbs full width (do not taper to nocks yet); then clamp it to a board and place it by your heater. The last time I did this with maple I went from fresh cut sapling to a bow in 4 1/2 weeks.

Offline tgr

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »
I really don't have the time right now.  I also have the other 3/4 of the log to do something with.  I'll seal the ends and leave the bark on those.  Thanks for all the help. TR