Author Topic: Ipe Bow best design?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline swimbill

Ipe Bow best design?
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »
Hi

Just picked up several 1X4 Ipe boards 3/4 thick.  What do you think the best design is for this wood  ???.  I am considering a flat bow or a pyramid bow.  Any advice is appreciated.

Swimbill

Offline 0209

Re: Ipe Bow best design?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:31:19 pm »
Go with a narrow limbed ELB.  Ipe is a great wood, probably my favorite for bow building.  It's just so dense and it doesnt take a whole lot to make a good hunting bow out of.  What are you going to back it with?...
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline swimbill

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:00:05 pm »
No idea any suggestions?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »
saw  em into 1/2 slats  even 3/8  back it with hickory  or better bamboo  wear a respiator  while sawing it or sanding  ipe is very bad  for ya and gloves   while working it   brock

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »
Ipe will make a nice elb but depending on the draw weight you are looking for they should be considerably shorter than what you would expect from a lighter wood. For a 50# elb style I would not go longer than 62". Also makes nice pyramids and any other style boy you may want to consider.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:23 am »
If I go with a bamboo backed bow any suggestions on were to get the bamboo?  I have some hickory but it is not very good.  Could I use linen for a backing?
swimbill

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:43:39 am »
Knightd, good guy and good boo too.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Gary Mac

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:20:19 pm »
Would Ipe work well as a hickory backed Holmegaard?

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »
swimbill, missouritrading.com has good bamboo also (but no ipe). I'm just finishing my first boo-backed ipe and hope to post it soon. Mine is a skinny pyramid, 63" overall, 61.5" nock to nock, about 1.1" wide at fades. 50# at 28". Glued in 5" reflex and it holds about 3/4" after tiller.  If you've never used bamboo before, there's a lot to learn, I ruined 3 pieces before this one came out OK.  I'm also glad I got a bench type belt sander, you have to first cut the boo to the bow shape, then sand it to a knife edge all  the way around or it'll be way too thick.