Author Topic: NPR segment on Chinese bowyer  (Read 5247 times)

Bikewer

NPR segment on Chinese bowyer
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:45 am »
This morning, on NPR's Morning Edition, they had a nice little bit on a Chinese bowyer:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10069411

(streaming audio)

No pics, unfortunately.    The guy's family has been making archery equipment for a very long time, and was once the official bowyer for the Emperor.   They described the bows as being made from bamboo and horn, (though misidentifying them as "compound"-obviously meant composite) and most of target weight.
Fellow says he works mainly by "feel", and uses scrapers almost entirely for tillering.

The Cultural Revolution nearly destroyed the business, and they had to destroy almost all their stock.  However, the guy's father took the heirloom bow that had been made for the 100 year anniversary of the shop, and hid it.   He cut it in half, wrapped the halves in plastic, and buried it under the firewood.
After the Cultural Revolution died out, he took it out of hiding, repaired it, and now has it on display.

Interesting stuff!

More, found this on another site, with a pretty good picture:

http://www.btmbeijing.com/contents/en/btm/2005-10/lastword/storeclingstoartistry

And this, a photo essay on an Asian Traditional Archery meeting:

http://www.atarn.org/letters/ltr_oct03.htm

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:05:45 pm by Bikewer »

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: NPR segment on Chinese bowyer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:23:03 pm »
Cool story , I wonder how much his bows sell for.
One of those would be special.

Ralph
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:52:07 pm by welch2 »

Bikewer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:18:55 am »
Seems to me they mentioned the price during the segment; about 500.00 equivalent.  And a year lead-time!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:14 am »
I saw that piece some time ago, it was very interesting.  I'm glad he's keeping on with the family tradition.  Its really sad what the Communists did to that country.  They're coming back out of it quickly now though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 03:12:57 pm »
Bikewer, thanks for posting the links. And Tom, yeah, the Cultural Revolution raped China of so many traditional crafts and culture. I heard somewhere that there were no traditional Chinese bowyers left, but that is not far from the truth. I wonder if there will ever be a rebirth of the craft?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:20:54 am »
npr gave a correction to this story.

They received emails informing them that the type of bow made by this guy was not a "compound" and that any self respecting traditional archer would cringe at that description but is better describred as a "composite" bow.