Author Topic: GSP pup? (Is Here)  (Read 13670 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: GSP pup?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 09:45:28 pm »
 Wayne;

Was the FBI giving everybody an interview that had been with Amy?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 12:06:46 am »

Beats my two aces, Eddie, I was told it was because of my clearances with the Crypto stuff.  Did you get an offer also?  I told them I wasn't interested, as I could not get assigned to a place of my preference.  My luck it would be in Detroit, or downtown Baltimore.  :P  Not my idea of choice assignments.  ;D

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:17 am »
New Pup should be here this weekend ;D  I'm getting excited. Got to track down some homing pigeons now.  I figure if I get her around enough birds she might be ready to hunt with next winter.  Time to pratice with the flu flus ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 07:59:58 am »
I'm sure you will, but you better put up some pics when you get her!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 09:00:30 am »
    My lifetime favorite dog was a gsp "junior" still miss him. A good dog on any game we hunted. Good in the water or land. Not the best at anyone thing but good at everything.  I think GSp do better as a one dog family dog, unlike a lot of hunting dogs they do better as part of the family than as kennel dogs. He wasn't just a hunting dog to me, I looked at him like a best friend. Great with other dogs and people but hard to beat as a watchdog. We had a party one time and must have had close to fift people in my house. I brought him in to show off some of his skills, suddenly he turned on one of the ladies dates that we didn't know and I had to physicaly drag him from the house, never did this before. Turned out this guy was wanted for murder and child molestation. The dog somehow knew it. Steve

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »
 Yep !  Started all my dogs on pigeons, works good. (Can't start them too early).  Congrat's   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Postman

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:59 pm »
Frank,

You mentioned the Vizslas, My Great Grandfather, a Hungarian immigrant, bred vizslas.  He used to tell me that real hunters hunt birds.  He was an incredible man, unfortunately his health never allowed us to hunt together :'(  I'd like a Vizsla but it seems if you want a solid nerved Vizsla you have to sell body parts to afford one, they were too pretty and the pet people bred the snot out of them.  Pet and show breedings have ruined a lot of good dogs, it what happens when they forget that you breed for function and form follows...not the other way around...

Indeed! Lots of genetic garbage out there because of the breed "standards" I've met one vizla and it was pretty as all get-out. I've heard that German shepherds have fallen out of favor for police work because of this - is that why the Malanois are so popular with law enforcement now? I mentioned this to the handlers that recently swept  my school, and they had heard this also. 1 had a shep and 1 had a malanois. the malanois was a  badass.

Good luck with the new pup!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:10:05 pm by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline NTD

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »
@Cam, You darn right I'll be posting pics.

@Badger, That's an incredible story but doesn't suprise me, great dogs such as yours truly are good judges of character!  Everything else you said is what attracted me to this breed!

@Sparrow, that's what everyone has told me.  Was gonna go the quail route but seems too likely a chance she might catch them :o

@Postman, A GOOD german shepherd is still preferred by many handlers and trainers because the Malinois can be a bit too much dog.  But finding a good GSD for a reasonable price is not easy.  The cost of a solid, non crippled working line GSD will buy you 3 good malinois.  Ijust pray the malinois doesn't get ruined.  It's gained a lot of poplularity in the last few years. The good thing is there are a lot of ugly malinois, helps keep the show peoples hands off of them.  But people seeing the badass allure have taken to breeding sub par Malinois to make a quick buck in the Personal protection arena.

I love my malinois' but a good one is more dog than most people knew was possible.
Nate Danforth

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »
Did the deal work out with Mike? I hope it did. He has good dogs.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline NTD

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 10:17:50 pm »
Did the deal work out with Mike? I hope it did. He has good dogs.

Tell

Tell, Yes it did.  I'm getting the second pup that was born, a little liver and roan female they call Dolly.  Thanks for setting me up with them Tell, I owe ya one.
Nate Danforth

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:45 pm »
   I used to spend weeks breaking a dog to steady on point, I don't consider myself a rough trainer at all but once I let them know whoa meant whoa it went a lot faster. I like to keep the discipline sessions to a minimum and keep the fun stuff whenever possible, so getting through some of the rough stuff early makes a lot more time for the fun stuff. Both dog and owner appreciate this. I imagine they have better methods now but a wing on a fishing line playing with a pup would usually have the pup almost broke before he ever saw a bird.
     I have a funny story about breaking dogs, I hooked up with a couple of pro's as an apprentise and was eager to learn. They told me they were gonna share one of their secrtes with me about styling a dog up on point, the judges like a stylish dog with a high tal and it will win field trials.
     So when the dog goes on point slowly walk up and while stroking his tail backward to get it nice and high take the left hand and stroke just along the side of his shaft. The dog will start to associate birds with sex and it makes for some real stylish dogs. Well I came back the next weekend for some dog work and wanted to show off the progress I had made. I will be dammed if the first bird my dog pointed didn't give him a woody! I thought those guys were gonna die laughing. I got pissed off and left but by next weekend we were all laughing about it.

Offline NTD

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
Steve that's friggin hilarious.  It's funny that you were that driven to get that "styling" point :o.  He pointed all right ROFLMAO ;D

It's must be a dog handler/trainer thing.  At K9 school we were always pranking each other left and right.

I only train in the sport side of it now but there is still a lot of raggin on each other.  Definitely a lot of due paying involved ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »

I wouldn't have told that one....... ::) ;D ;D  He just might stick around for more...... "styling"........ ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
Steve, I got a GSP from a guy that couldn't control it.  The stupid dog did that did that every time we hunted. He had a testosterone problem though. He would try to mount every dog we met, male or female. He also wanted to fight. If you don't have a firm/consistent hand when training, you need to castrate the males.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
   Justin, I have seen quite a few GSP's that were fighters. A lot of American breeders were sneaking English pointer into their lines trying to win field trials. The English pointers were well infused with pit bulls back in the 1940's to toughen them up a bit. Most of the fight was bred out of the pointers but tended to come back out when they were crossed with something else. Steve