Author Topic: GSP pup? (Is Here)  (Read 13669 times)

Offline NTD

GSP pup? (Is Here)
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:44:58 am »
My wife and I have been talking and we'd like to add another dog to the family.  We've been thinking about a GSP for quite a few years now and I would really like to have a hunting partner.  Any chance any of you folks might breed a liter of them every now and then?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:28:36 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: GSP pup?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:43 am »
GSP?  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:02:52 am »
He's the middleweight title holder in the UFC.  George St. Pierre. ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
Those are beautiful dogs.  I met one when we had our chocolate lab in "puppy kindergarten".  They almost look like a lab in the face, and the white with brown spots on the body is gorgeous.

Pat - I'm assuming thats the german shorthaired pointer

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:42:22 am »
I've pheasant hunted behind 2 great gun dogs in my life.  The best was a female yellow lab.  The other one was a female german shorthair.  Both those dogs had the great love for people and love for hunting coupled with super instincts and training.  Have hunted behind lots of other labs, brittanies and springers, as well as a couple other GSPs but nothing that approached those 2.  My Dad owned the yellow lab and a friend owned the GSP.  I'm not sure I'd want either breed in the house though.  Most GSPs are tall enough to eat right off the table (though that favorite of mine was smaller) and the labs have a tail that can sweep everything off a coffee table in a heartbeat.  Anyway, I don't know of any GSP breeders and haven't pheasant hunted seriously in 20 years.  Good luck, I would recommend a female.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »
They seen to be pretty high strung so lots of exercise will be needed to help curtail that. I've only known one or two so not enough info to say.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:14:44 pm »
George outlined the basic reasons I want a german shorthair.  Family friendly with a work ethic.  I also like the short coat, size and I think they are handsome dogs.  I'm thinking a female too George ;)

As far as the high energy Pat  ;D I worked Malinois' as a K9 handler and currently own a working malinois.  I've never seen a GSP on it's best day have as much energy as a good working malinois.

Here's a pic of Ibu having a mellow moment ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:21:45 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »
I yield to the gentleman in the uniform!  ;D  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »
I turned down a 7 yr old field trained, mellow as the day was long, smart as a whip german shorthaired pointer bitch named Hershey when a friend was concentrating on training her daughter, Snickers.  That was the ONLY mistake I have ever made in my whole life worse than when I married my now exwife.  And trust me, I got a lot of mistakes to choose from for that honor. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:17:28 pm »
JW what a dummy ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:20:57 pm »
Holy crap !! its the Fuzz !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »
I prefer the Latin terminology... non compost mentos *

*dumber than dirt
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »
Dude Ken....The Fuzz...I haven't heard that term for the PoPo in a longtime.  I think My grandfather used to call them "The Fuzz"   ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:50 pm »
What you want for a good hunting dog is a German Wirehaired Pointer. Best dogs I have ever been around. I love mine and she is a chukar hunting machine.  The dog on the left is my friends he is half shorthair and half wirehair.  The female on the right my dog is full blood wire hair.  Thats only an afternoon of hunting also.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:12 pm »
ive always been behind the times ....prinitive u could say