Author Topic: Rehydrating Antlers?  (Read 4995 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Rehydrating Antlers?
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:30 am »
Sounds funny but I was wondering if antlets can be rehydtrated. A friend ask this and I thought this would be the place to ask ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Rehydrating Antlers?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:30 am »
yes but why. never becomes the same thing. like trying to make a potatoe from a potatoe chip
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:12 am »
Are You talking about re-hydrating Shed Antler? Otherwise...all Antlers are just dried out Bone...once the Velvet's Blood Supply stops...the Bone quits growing and the Velvet starts to dry out...and slough off.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:00:24 am »
Ya El D. He has an Elk shed that is dry? and bleached out. Jussr wanting to know if there was anyway to restore it :-\
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:25:52 am »
Probably not. You can impregnate the old dry antler with chemicals or epoxies with the use of a vaccume chamber I believe.   What is he wanting to do with the antlers?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:45:34 am »
There really is no way to re-hydrate a Rack....About the only thing that You can do with these Antlers is to Steel Wool all of the Chalky Surface Damage off...and then buy you so APOXY SCULPT...make sure that You get the Natural Color...not the white or gray...mix it up per directions...and work this into the Cracks with  your finger...push it in good...and before it sets...wet your finger with Spit...and rub it smooth...let it set up...sand lightly again with Steel Wool...and then you can color the whole rack to match ...I have used Walnut Stain with great results...but buy a good Gel Stain...it doesn't soak in as deep...otherwise you will be putting on multiple coats ...feather the Stain out towards the white Tips...so you keep that Ivory look to the Tips.....hope this helps
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:57 am »
Not sure how far gone your horn is, but ive had good luck with shoe wax, or take and rub it down with a dye of your choice and then rub it down with bees wax. after either way, i take a heat gun and melt the wax so the horn soaks it up. Repeat four or five times and then buff it. I like the way the horn looks for knife handles.
Boo