Author Topic: Fencepost stave...RIP  (Read 7808 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Fencepost stave...what to make?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »
George.....I think the Glue Joint looks strong and tight...should be fine...especially with the Glue You used...When I have glued them together ....I have always used a long mitered cut...from back to belly...gives you more surface area for a stronger glue up...jmo.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »
looks good to me! thats gonna be a nice bow!  what you gonna do with it when your done?  thats my type of bow!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »
OK thanks Mike.  I'll go back to scraping on it.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it, a lot will depend on how it shoots for me.  I've never shot short glass recurves well, but this'll be the first short selfbow I've shot so we'll see.  If I can't shoot it worth a hoot who knows what I'll do with it.  Course, we're counting our chickens before they're hatched since the bow isn't even braced yet.  I'd never bet against an old fence post though. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:58 pm »
lol!  your right! 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
Bad day today.  Started well as I finally got the bow on a short string and took a bad picture putting the camera on my workmate.

But, it wasn't a good shot.  Good enough to see that right limb needed more scraping inboard.  So, I did that, shortened the string a little and brought my tripod over to take a proper picture.  I was looking at the camera screen framing the shot and evidently not paying attention to how far and hard I was pulling when the bow went BANG.  Been a long time since I had a blow explode like this one did.  It took me a minute to find the pieces.  Now it's a 3-piece.

I'm not sure if the limb broke on a knot, or along one of the weather checking cracks on the side.  There was some old insect damage there too.  Not sure if the recurve at the other end broke a the same time or when that piece of the bow hit the floor hard.  I suspect the latter.

Too bad, it was still carrying about an inch of reflex when it broke.  At least the glue joints held to the end.  Guess my wife gets a couple new paint stirrers. ::) Have another bow out there to work on at about the same stage.  Trying to decide what to build next...  Perhaps my osage backing strips are dry enough to go on the ipe I bought a while ago?

George
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:10:42 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fencepost stave...RIP
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:31 pm »
Try to get someone to take your pic drawing the bopw next time. Holding a wood bow at a static draw for any length of time is bad for the bow. By hand holding and drawing you can control the length and duration of the draw and IMO a better situation for wood bows.
  To bad this one broke. Will you post other pics of the break so we can try to figure out what the problem was. I think that is as important of a tool for wood bow building as anything. We learn from our(or the woods) mistakes...usually!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »
Sorry George  She was looking good  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:19 pm »
Yea Pat, I agree.  I just got distracted with the camera and held it too long and pulled it further than I should have.  But, I did take more pictures and I'm pretty sure now it was an insect damage problem.  The first picture is where you can see the damage.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »
I agree! The insect damage was the culprit!
  Here is what an inch too far looks like on one of my bows. This bow had over a thousand shots through it before this happened.

The only bugs here were in my brain!!! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 02:30:22 pm »
That's a shame George.  I was really looking forward to seeing what could be made from that old piece of wood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »
That's a bummer Pat.  Looks like it was a good bow and had mellowed to a beautiful amber.  I love them at that color.  Very sad.

I hope all those fenceposts aren't riddled like that.  Do you think if I'd backed it with some rawhide or sinew it would have survived?

Thanks OO, there's plenty more posts out on the stack.  This was a pretty aggressive design, I think I asked too much from that old post.  Maybe I'll be a little more conservative next time?  Maybe not. ;D 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:52:49 pm »
Nothing would have helped that bow. Too much internal grub damage.
If they have worm holes in them there is not much to do unless you can find clear wood between the holes.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »
Not to worry.  I broke a a really nice little osage static recurve this morning while working on the final tiller.   :-\  Sorry yours broke, though.  It's never fun, is it?  And, I still haven't found all of the pieces to mine  ;D
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Postman

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »
Too bad - good luck on the nextone, glad ya didn't get hurt!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 07:39:25 pm »
Bad luck Bro... but it happens... Pat, that makes me a little nervous knowin im shootin her sister... :o ;D
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....