Author Topic: Fencepost stave...RIP  (Read 7807 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Fencepost stave...RIP
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »
I finally sucked it up and grabbed one of the old fenceposts off the pile.  Boy did it look weathered...

I was a little apprehensive about all the weather checking but after 4 growth rings...it began to look like the osage I'm used to.

In the end, it is 42" long and nice and straight with just a hint of twist.

I'm not sure what to make?  I could do another post and make a takedown...but I just did one of those.  Too short for a regular longbow, it would make a nice kids bow but my grandkids are too young.  I've thought about gluing static recurves on the tips and going for a bend through the handle bow, that would be blazing new ground for me.  I just don't know.  Sure could use some inspiration, I've not made that many styles of bows.

Thanks
George
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:03:56 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Fencepost stave...what to make?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »
Wow, that cleaned up nicely!

Normally I make short bows, so forgive me for saying that I think you should glue some tips on there and see where you end up.
I did one a while back with that kind of tip and I really liked how it looked and felt.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:21:20 pm »
I think it would look awesome if you glued some siyahs on there and make a horsebow looking bow

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »
Jerk another post out of the pile and splice build your next one.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:22 pm »
  That will make a fine bow. The first 2 bows,I built I'd bought 2 BL post from a farmer I hunted on.I sinewed both and still have them.
   Then back in the early 90's I deer hunt some on a friends farm in KS. Came across and old fence line and corner post. Ask my friend and he said his great grandad had put the fence in over 100 years before.
   He gave it to me for a bow.We took the tractor pulled it out. And it looked fine. I got 6 staves 1 did'nt make it. I built 5 bows. They were all shooters. And I kept and shot,hunted with the one for over 6 years.Before I LET IT GO.
  I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD THE OLDER THE BETTER WHEN IT COMES TO OSAGE. I think the old sayings right.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 11:02:42 pm »
i still cant believe that... 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 11:23:56 pm »
Just just incredible....it's like buried gold ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:55:34 pm »
i d grab another post go for a take down that gonna be a snappy shoot  as old as that stuff is i love them ol post espically if i can find one not fulla staples lol brock

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 12:02:44 am »

Just just incredible....it's like buried gold ;)

I agree, it is like buried gold.  I expected some cracks to go all the way down, but they stopped in the first couple rings. Came out better than I hoped.  I've made bows from fence posts before, but never one that was this weathered.  There were staple holes all over, but none that went as deep as the ring I chose for the back. Thanks for all the suggestions.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 08:58:34 am »
I don't knoww what to make from it but good save.Any  bow from that piece has to have a lot of soul. Good luck with her.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:11 am »
   This post was at least 2 feet across and the check marks were 5 or 6 inchs on one side the other mabe 2"s. The center was just fine. Sence then my friend has dieded.But be for he did die he also built a couple bows from fence post he pulled out of the ground. Same fence line.
  He killed a 161 inch buck with a selfbow from a post bow. Matter of fact he had 2 others in the 130's. and over 20 other smaller bucks. Killed with recurves and longbows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
That's great.  I've always felt old osage was special.  I have an old corner post I found in Nebraska that has produced 2 bows, both 60+ draw weights that took no set at all.  I've not made a bow for me from it yet.  I think it has maybe 3 more bows in it but I've been very carefully saving it.

I've cut 2 mesquite short static recurves to glue onto the ends of this short stave.  Gonna be interesting to see if it works.  I may sinew back it just to give it a better chance for success, though I'm really curious to see if the old wood could take the strain.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »
   Looks like one I had several years ago. I bought an osage sign post that had been in the ground supposedly for over 100 years. It was a beekepers sign post advertising fresh honey. Once Icleaned it up the wood itself easn't too bad. Some kind of huge ant had invaded it but I had enough for a 54" bow, a bit too twisted but I got a few shots out of it. wood was fine just not a good stave. Steve

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 10:54:29 am »
Nice save on the stave. I too am amazed that there was gold still under that rough exterior. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »
I've made some progress on this bow, now that the Christmas exchange work and deer season are past.  It will be a 48" bend through the handle static recurve.  I glued on some mesquite recurves and have it bending the way I think it should with a slightly long string.   It looks like this:

Right now it is 70#@10" on a string tight against the bow's belly.  It pulls deceptively easily for that much draw weight, I suppose some of that is likely the long string.  I was shocked when I looked at the tillering scale and realized how much weight I had on it.  This brings me to my next question.  I glued the recurves on (using smooth-on epoxy) with a fishtail splice that started at 2" long but is now less with limb thinning.  I plan to wrap this joint on the finished bow, but I'd rather not do that until I have the limb to thickness.  I could put a pin through the splice sideways the way I do handle splces but I don't know if that is a good idea or not.  Will that joint take the stress of going to full draw without being wrapped?

Here's what the joint looks like.

I'm anxious to get the bow braced and finish it up, but I don't want to break one of the recurves off either.

Thanks in advance.

George
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:07:10 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX