Author Topic: How to get started?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline DiGi

How to get started?
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:46 am »
Tools? Books? Where to find rocks? Specific rocks needed?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: How to get started?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:19:39 am »
I get my tools from
flintknappingtools.com
go to
flintknappers.com and they have some books for sell there. or links to sites with books.
you can go to
rockhobbies.com  to buy rock.

you might not need to buy rock depending on were you live.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:39 am »
do what jesse said , get bandaids, and start breaking rock  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:24 am »
Tools are pretty easy to make for yourself also. I don't think I have a thing that someone else made. Stones,antlers and hardware stores are about the best raw materials. Look at the flintknappers on "Youtube" Particularly, Paleoman Jim. He does alot of abo and makes alot of his own tools. If a guy doesn't have rock nearby,  good material's to start on is, Toilet tanks and computer screen glass. Be careful and buy band-aid's.  Good luck !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:19:13 am »
    I made everything I needed. It's not hard.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:29 pm »
Tools and rocks/glass are all you need. One book that really helped me was the art of flintkanpping by DC Waldorf. It explains setting up platforms, angles, concoidal fracturing, etc and has lots of pictures :). Utubes are great also. Best thing you can do is get with somebody that can show you one on one. Welcome to the addiction..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
Find a flintknapping group near you.  Ask around in different forums... you'll eventually find someone in your area who will know of a "knap-in".

If you are pressed for time, watch youtube videos, order some flint off ebay, get some copper, and start breaking rock.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:11 pm »
My advise to you is UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO TAKE ON A LIFETIME ADICTION, DON'T START!  If you are determined to learn then the best way to get started is at the elbow of a knapper that is willing to show you how.  Almost everyone here is willing to help and give advise.  If you are having problems obtaining tools I can donate some basic equipment.  Its my opinion that you need to start with materials that are easily knapped like glass, obsidian, slag, or any of several softer rocks.  Trying to learn on hard materials is very frustrating as they require advanced techniques.  Don't let a little blood discourage you.  When you do start be sure to post your efforts on the PA site and the knapping fraternity here will give you pointers.  Good luck!  A/Ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:40:47 am »
I dtsrted by buying a knapping kit from flintknappingtools.com then i started knapping on glass and obsidian. the best advise is start with what you can afford and get to know other knappers in your area.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.