Author Topic: Kevlar bowstring?  (Read 9028 times)

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Kevlar bowstring?
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:27:58 am »
Not exactly primitive and kind of random but what do you think about a Kevlar bowstring?  I ask because I found a place to get spools pretty cheap (cheaper than FF) and wondered if it would work.

I'm concerned that it would be very thin for the strength needed and the lack of stretch may overtax some bows.

It might be just the right thing for flight bows, if I made them.

Any other uses you could apply this to?
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Kevlar bowstring?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:34:23 am »
I'd go for it...its not any more non primitive than B50. Still a man made material.

I'd love to try some...the bow string may be very thin but all you need to do is serve the nocks very well and serve the nocking point for the arrow and you got a super light string...less mass = more speed

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 10:13:32 am »
There is a saying that kevlar breaks after 1000 shots. Not worth the risk unless you like counting your shots.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
We used to use Kevlar on target bows back in the late 70's. Pat is right about the short life and many times they broke under the serving giving you no warning that they were worn out.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »
Kevlar thread is sometimes used to tie subsurface flys. It will cut your fingers and it's hell on a good pair of fly tying scissors.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll stick to the b-50 for now.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »
Have some experience with Kevlar.....both yarns and woven cloth. Kevlar degrades severely with exposure to UV radiation (amoung other things). Direct sunlight exposure can get it weak in a big hurry, that may be the reason for the strings to have a short life. JMO
rich

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 11:41:41 am »
hey gentlemen,

right now it is Christmas and Merry Christmas to all you folks.  if not kevlar,  what about the super braid fishing lines like Fireline and/or Spider wire?

w.h.d.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »
Those types of line are actually made of dyneema which is already a type of bow string. Quite a few guys I know use spiderwire but it's really no different than buying fast lfite. It's more readily available if you don't have an archery shop at hand.

Offline Bckskin2

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 07:52:53 am »
I bought some kevlar string through the mail with intent of making fishing leader, but it is too thick so I am going to try it on a "prepper/survival" type bow that will be made of stuff that can be found at Menards.  Most of these use paracord. I probably will not shoot it close to 1000 time and the pvc needs to be stored out of the Sun too!

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:08:37 pm »
HMPE (i.e. Dyneema or FF) is stronger than Kevlar, more resistant to UV light, more abrasion resistant, and will last much longer as bowstring. Kevlar only exceeds HMPE in its melting temperature, but you would die from the heat before your FF string melted, literally.

If you are not worried about being primitive, FF materials are vastly superior to anything else. I have little doubt that HMPE will be the highest performing bowstring for a very long time if not forever. Maybe someday you will be able to get carbon nanotube composite string, but until then, FF is king.

Usually I lurk on the auctions waiting for deals on discounted spools of FF. They come out with new super duper FF every few years and the old stuff gets clearanced. I bought about 8 spools of BCY 8125 when they came out with 8125G. The G is for goretex fibers which they say provide more abrasion resistance .... I can't remember ever wearing out a string made from my discount 8125 so I think it's irrelevant. It lasts so long it's ridiculous ... I'd guess that the average bowstring of FF lasts for most of the life of an average wood bow.

Oh yeah .... and I've never had a wood bow damaged by FF. I don't pad the loops, and some bows also go without overlays.

Cheers