Author Topic: Christmas bird point...  (Read 2959 times)

Offline billy

Christmas bird point...
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »
Here's a little Columbia River style bird point I just made out of cooked Coastal Plains chert.  The wings aren't as long and fragile as some others I've made, but then I was just playing around and not really trying to push the limit.  The serrated edges are super sharp...and I might just tie this one onto an arrow and try to stick something with it.  Sorry the point is a bit difficult to see cause it's almost the same color as the skin on my finger, but I wanted to have a size reference so ya'll could see its small size....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Christmas bird point...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:09:13 pm »
 Man, Billy, that is Sweet!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
coll little point billy.
bryan irwin

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:10:42 pm »
You have better eyes the me Billy  ;D
Well done!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:15:34 pm »
Billy:  You could have been a knapper in the Oregon Lake Culture as they made points just like that.  I have a collection of them and always tried to replicate them.  You do some fine work!  A/Ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
Pretty point and material. You do nice work.
 I see alot of those washed out of the columbia river banks,especially from Umatilla down to Hood River. Most of the time,they have a broken wing,The best looking ones usually just washed out of some burial along the bank.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »
That is nice!  Are the bird points harder to make than the larger points?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 01:02:43 pm »
I met Billy at the last Tenn Classic. I watched him work for a while and he gave me some help making small points. First, I can tell you that when it comes to these type of points, Billy is a master. Second, I can tell you from experience that you pretty much use the same knapping techniques on a small point that you do on any other point. Setting up platforms, following ridges, etc. As for difficulty, in a way it is harder. Things are much smaller. If you have difficulty setting up platforms or picking out ridges on a normal point, reduce the size and it gets even that much more difficult. And the tools you use are smaller and it takes a total different touch. For me, knocking a point out of middle of a piece of rock is difficult all in itself. Picking a small point out is just as difficult. However, if you knap like I do, you get a chance to work with small bird points a lot. I get them from the pointy end of my larger points after I bust them in half.

Billy....  Nice point!

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 02:21:47 pm »
HEy guys, thanks for the compliments.  And no Jeff, I actually find these small points are easier for me to make than the larger points.  My percussion work is really not that good.  I used to be better, but over the years I've focused on making small arrow points like these for hunting, so that is what I've gotten proficient at.  I really have no need for large blades or spearpoints, unless someone wants one or I am making a skinning knife for myself...then I just make them more utilitarian.  If you were good at making large bifaces then that would probably be easier than making small arrowpoints with long, fragile barbs.  I guess it all depends on what you get used to making and how much practice you devote to the particular type of work you do. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 04:41:09 pm »
Sweet Billy.  ;)

Offline piper

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »
That's extra fine.......................Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »
Wow...very well done and very small.  Love the material. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr