Author Topic: Difference in billets  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Difference in billets
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:06:11 pm »
I just received a bow blank from Gary Davis. It is glued up out of billets and there is a big difference in the color and weight of each half. You can really feel the difference in the wood when working it, one is a much denser wood. The balance point is 2" off center if that tells you any thing. My question is how will this bow behave when tillered with such a difference between limbs?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline bcbull

Re: Difference in billets
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:21:45 pm »
steve  if  ya need help with one of garys stave s call gary i know he will bend over backwards to help you  brock

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
Steve, your bow should finish out just fine if you do your part. One thing I would suggest is to keep a center mark (dimensional center of the bow) as you tiller the bow out to maintain equal limb mass. The denser limb will wind up a bit narrower than the other limb. But I always get that anyways because I build my bows "as they stand in the tree" where the bottom is always a bit denser. Good luck and keep us posted...........Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:38:58 am »
I'm with Brock,just give him a call,I know he goes to a lot of trouble to match his billets and close as he can,if he felt it would cause much trouble I am sure he wouldn't have spliced
them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:00:52 am »
I'm with Brock,just give him a call,I know he goes to a lot of trouble to match his billets and close as he can,if he felt it would cause much trouble I am sure he wouldn't have spliced
them. :)
   Pappy

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to also Pappy. He builds them for success for dummies like me ;D I think I will be staining this one though, the difference in the color of the wood is very pronounced. Any suggestions for a stain for osage? I've tried some on scrap pieces and it acts like it doesn't want to take very well.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:08:20 am by Steve Milbocker »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:59 am »
I wouldn't say that you are a dummy,but yes he dose. :) :) He will be down next week for
several days,I will ask him about it,I'm sure he will remember the one you are talking about. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:33:27 am »
Fiebings leather dye or Rit dye in alcohol will work on osage. I believe Gary used shellac on his bows while he uses steam to do the straightening, etc. You will have to remove the shellac first before the dye will take. The color of the wood might be closer after the shellac is removed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:51:33 am »
Steve ,
You know Gary will be glad to send you a differant one if you don't like it.
As for color if you get that yellow wood in the light (after you make a bow out of it) it will all turn chocolate  anyway so don't worry about it !

Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »
   Back when I built billet bows I came a cross the same thing twice. When you tiller the limbs even though the one is denser wood. It will only matter in weight. When you tiller it likely you'll end up taking more wood off the heavyer(denser) limb.Which wiil help with the balance some.It may be a little off but mine wer'nt nearly as bad as after it was tillered.
   I used leather dye to even out the color one one the other that was like that there was'nt to much difference.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:20:28 pm »
Fiebings leather dye or Rit dye in alcohol will work on osage. I believe Gary used shellac on his bows while he uses steam to do the straightening, etc. You will have to remove the shellac first before the dye will take. The color of the wood might be closer after the shellac is removed.
Pat, removing the shellac is the first step when you begin working Gary's blanks. I now have this bow floor tillered and ready to long string. The dark side is straight grained and the nice yellow side is full of burl,very pretty. It's almost like working white wood on one side then switching to osage on the other. This should be a good education for me if nothing else.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »
steve i know for a fact gary uses shellac   but tell ya what  was me  im a guy likes the color of osage
 older it get darker prettir it gets   my suggestion i  no dye  let it age it will darken with age  guess i aint so picky i care more about how it shoots  than looks  brock

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »

"steve i know for a fact gary uses shellac   but tell ya what  was me  im a guy likes the color of osage
 older it get darker prettir it gets   my suggestion i  no dye  let it age it will darken with age  guess i aint so picky i care more about how it shoots  than looks  brock"

It's not the shellac guys, it's the wood. If the halves even came close to matching color I'd leave them. The dark side almost doesn't look like osage even though it is.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
Worked it quite a bit today, got my targeted weight to about 24". So far so good. Had to take a lot more off the dense limb to balance things out at 1/8 positive tiller.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »
Steve I wouldn't worry about the color difference. In a few months you won't hardly tell the difference. I made a 2 piece take down osage bow this summer. One was brilliant yellow and the other the dark brown and now you can't tell the 2 pieces apart Dean

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »
Any pics ?
The only way to fail is to never start !