Author Topic: Double backed Pyrimid  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Geofbow

• Lifetime traditional and primitive archer/hunter.
Double backed Pyrimid
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »
I get a bow built that shoots well and that I like and something compels me to give it away. I don't know what is wrong with this, but I never seem to have a bow to shoot.
        Next bow in the works but I have some questions.  The piece of hickory had some runoffs so I cut two pieces 2"X 3/32 flipped one end for end and doubled the backing on a piece of red oak lumber. I'd like any thoughts you more experienced bowyers have on what I've done.  The bow will be 66" ntn, 2" at the fades and tapering to 1/2 inch at the nocks. I'm trying for 60#s at My 29" draw.  Is it possible for some one to give me some kind of guess on approximate limb thickness, or at least a starting point.   Thanks Geofbow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Double backed Pyrimid
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:31:43 am »
I made a hickory backed red oak pyramid bow back in '03 that is 63 1/2"t/t, 53#@28", 2 3/8" at the fades and a straight taper to 1/2' tips. The hickory backing is a thin 1/8" and the red oak belly has a slight taper from 3/8" at the fades to 3/16" near the tips.
  Hope this helps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Geofbow

• Lifetime traditional and primitive archer/hunter.
Re: Double backed Pyrimid
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:26:35 am »
Thank you Pat, Every bit helps. I'm going longer so I'm guessing I should go thicker for 60#??