Author Topic: fleching  (Read 1867 times)

Offline iowabow

fleching
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
not sure of the correct terms but cutting VS stripping can someone show me the difference with a  photo of the two types and the reasons for each.
I am making shafts now and I have turkey feathers for a turkey i killed this spring. I read on a post the other day that there are two ways to do this which is best?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fleching
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »
I don't think I have pics but here is what I do...
  I split the feather down the recessed area along the inside of the quill with a sharp knife or razor knife. Then cut to length. Here I cut them an inch longer than the final fletching will be. I then clamp it in a fletching clamp from my JoJan fletcher(you can make a simple clamp with 2 pieces of wood) and sand it flat and smooth on my belt sander. You can easily sand it with a sanding block. Then I strip (grab the barb; feather part and pull down and away) the last 1/2" from the forward end of the fletching and cut with scissor the last 1/2" of the rear. Now it is ready to glue down and/or tie down. The end tags are for tying. If only glueing is used you don't need these tags but I wrap the forward end of all fletching ti protect my bow hand.
 To strip feathers you start out with hydrated feathers. If they have been sitting around and become dry put them in a plastic bag with a damp cloth for a few hours in the warm house.  Now, hold the quill and barbs on the off side of the feather near the top end of the feather with one hand and grip the barbs of the side you will use for fletching and pull down and away in one smooth motion. It will probably take you a few tries before you master it but it comes pretty easily with practice.
  Do a search here on PA. Maybe even check the "How To" section. I'm sure there are pics somewhere in there.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

Re: fleching
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »
Thank you very much for the input. I will give it a try.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!