Author Topic: Short R/D hickory (not for BOM)  (Read 3653 times)

Offline RyanY

Short R/D hickory (not for BOM)
« on: December 18, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
After seeing wanbliwicasa's short powerful d bow on paleoplanet I wanted to make a shorty just like it. I failed to create one to match his but I really love how it turned out anyways. Its hickory, 48" ntn and I think probably around 60#@24". Handle is 1.5" wide and 6" long. 2.25" wide for 8" from the handle with a slight eiffel tower taper to 5/16" nocks. Kept about 1/4" of reflex. Bone nock overlays and a walnut stain. After taking these pictures I couldn't believe how heavy this bow was. I knew that it was pretty strong but dang! Not to mention it's capable of drawing out to 28". I haven't shot it and am really afraid to just because the handle is so wide and I'm a poor shot so I'd probably lose some arrows unless I'm at a range. After tillering the bow to bend through the handle I added the deflex and reflex which I think is why it ended up with such an odd full draw shape. Anyways it was fun to make. Thanks for looking.

Brace is super low because string tension is so high. Its super hard to string this one.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
Re: Short R/D hickory (not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:43:13 pm »
I like it-nice profile almost eygption like,Hickory is great stuff,nice work-Hammertime

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:02:59 pm »
Another very cool bow!  well done!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »
damn 60@24.

I love that reflex deflex paddle bow look.

I'd take that hunting any day...I love drawing 24"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
I remember givin you the gears a bit when you first posted the full draw picture of this bow, but now that you explained it was tillered before adding the reflex and deflex, I can see why it has such a weird full draw profile.  Very interesting... me likey!  ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:29 pm »
I like this Bow...but shouldn't it be called rather...A Deflex / Reflex Bow? since it deflexes at the Hand Grip....and reflexes towards the Tips....bet it shoots sweet.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »
I was looking forward to seeing this one.  Well done. 
Travis

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:00:48 pm »
Great looking bow Ryan. You sure get a lot out of your short pieces of wood. Well done...!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »
Thanks guys. I just tried to measure it and it is indeed very close to 60#@24". It was super hard to measure though just because I use a bathroom scale and a tiller stick and none of it goes well with such a wide handle.  ::)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
Nice bow, amazing it kept the reflex and pulls to 28"...being so short!!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline TBod

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:56:59 am »
That is a cool bow! Nice job