Author Topic: new rifle+two squirrels  (Read 4547 times)

Offline recurve shooter

new rifle+two squirrels
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:15:19 am »
sooo got this rifle from Mr. David. i think the barrel is either 32 or 36 inches, percussion, 38 cal. i was shootin 30 gr of pyrodex, .375 roundball with a denim patch. it hits 3 inches low and two inches left, and sence i havnt settled into what load i like for sure yet i havnt adjusted the sights sooooo shootin with a holdover i dont think i did to bad. only saw three rats cuz it was nearly noon when i finally found a decent spot, shot at two, killed two, so im officialy in love with this gun. the pistol is a .410 smoothbore flintlock, which is a load of fun to shoot, but i havnt played withit much.  ;D these are my first muzzleloader kills, and i have never been so excited over two squirrels in my life.

lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: new rifle+two squirrels
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:59:44 am »
 Good shooting! I need me a small Cal. Those are some nice looking weapons, Trey.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:15:41 am »
Thats a good lookn shootin iron OK now for the trade I'll trade my ol lady washin machine and and ...........
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:09 am »
Nice shooting and a very cool looking set up you have. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:49 am »
Very cool!  I've got some serious blackpowder envy now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:55:30 am »
 ;D thanks guys. i love this rifle, im thrilled i was able to get my hands on it. yall remember a while back when someone posted the Seed Tick rifle? He gets partial credit for this lol. i saw that gun and off i went to try to find me one.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
that is way nice of a gun..i have a 54cal great plains hunter and i love it...i just wish i had a gun for turkey and a flint lock for deer..john

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
I'm seriously considering selling my .300 barrel for my Encore to help fund a purdy gun like that now.  Dangit, I gotta stop with all the addictions.  Sometimes I think meth would be cheaper.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:01:58 pm »
I'm seriously considering selling my .300 barrel for my Encore to help fund a purdy gun like that now.  Dangit, I gotta stop with all the addictions.  Sometimes I think meth would be cheaper.

lol. i think you may be right. over the summer when i bought my first pb gun, a .44 cap and ball revolver, someone told me they were addictive. they were correct.  ;D i love the gun, i love the way it shoots, and i love the looks i get when i pass other hunters carrying this thing and a few squirrels.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
I got no interest in yer "per-cussin' gun", but I seriously envy the smoothbore flint pistol!!!!  I have been drooling over the double barrel 20 ga. flintlock Howdah pistols in the dixie catalog. 

The rifle looks like a Berks County style with that humped up "roman nose" buttstock.  They look pretty, but are famous for sheek biting recoil.  Fortunately your recoil oughta be limited due to the caliber.  With the shorter barrel, it oughta sneak around the bushes after tree rats rather nicely compared to the 42" barrel on my .36 flinter!  Attaboy, SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:20 am »
lol. i'll work up to a flint rifle with a 40 something inch barrel eventually, but for now im very happy with this. and im fairly sure my per-cussin is gunna go off every time. still have trust issues dragging a flintlock around in louisiana. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:33 am »
Everyone knows those percussion guns are just a gateway drug to harder stuff like flinchrocks, er, I mean flintlocks.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:14 am »

JW is right Trey.  You can put a .45 ball in that flinchlock pistol, or about five or six number 4 buckshot. ;)  You ever get your .58 shootin straight?  Get those lands smoothed down?   Somebody's gonna be makin powder horns, and possibles bags.....n'yah, n'yah, n'yah..... ;D  Oh, and Coon skin caps, and buckskins, and moccasins....... ;D  Ok maybe no moccasins, in La. but at least some buckskins, and a coonskin cap.....Just remember to take the coon out of the skin...... ;D ::) :P

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:30 am »
lol. as soon as i get the cash to make an order from track of the wolf im gunna be flingin all manor of lead out of that pistol. i did get the .58 to shoot right. five or six shots touching eachother just a little high and left, made two hunts with it and traded it for these lol. i pollished those lands with some pollishing compound stuff, but i didnt spent a whole lot of time on it, but what i did musta helped cuz it pulled the groups from 3 inches to touching, so i was happy.  ;D and as for the skins, got a deer hide and two coon hides in the freezer and several buckets of tanning chems in the shop.  ;D
lets just shoot it