Author Topic: European silver birch?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

European silver birch?
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:17:22 pm »
Anyone ever used European silver birch (Betula pendula )?  I know that US bowyers often use yellow birch and other American species, but I wondered if our local stuff was any good?

The answer when someone askes about a bow wood is usually "try it and see" - but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried it first!!!!

Thanks

Stan

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: European silver birch?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:46:56 pm »
I've not used it for a bow, but I made a little pot out of a slice of it, it worked pretty much like Hazel, e.g nice to work, very little visible grain.
So I'd guess make it wide and flat, maybe chop out a quick stick bow or minature to get a feel for it?
I'll be interested to know how it turns out if you try it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Boofus

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:43:06 pm »
I'd be interested too... there's a TON of it right behind my house! ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »
I've used sweet birch with OK results but nothing special. It has been a long time since I used it though. I believe the yellow birch is the stronger of the birches.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:50 am »
I have used silver birch quite a while back, kept it nice and wide for most of the limb, also used a sapling about first thick, no knots
It was a lovely bow but is now a wall hanger. I would say its a wall hanger only due to a rubbish tiller and letting somone lend it who decided to increase the brace heigh to match his glass bow. :(

If you want ill find a picture.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:35:36 am »
O.K. but carefully peel the bark in big sheets if it's 1/8"+ thick, and send it to me so I can build a canoe! ;D

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »
Never made a bow out of it but made other things out of it and it is a good quality, fairly hard wood, so should make a decent bow, Its is always so knotty thats what puts me off using it, I dont like knots.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......