Author Topic: I've joined the club...  (Read 4927 times)

HatchA

I've joined the club...
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:48:00 am »
Well.  Was told just a short time ago that the company I work for has lost five million euro and along with 12 voluntary redundancies and a reduction in hours from 40 to 30 a week that they brought in a couple of weeks ago, they're looking at all departments to find more areas to cut back in and they don't see any real reason for my job role in the company.

I'm being made redundant.

My head is a bit flustered at the moment but one bright side is I'll get to spend more time working on archery equipment!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: I've joined the club...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
I know how ya feel...I have been there since the end of Sep.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:56 am »
Sorry to hear that.

Nobody told me Im redundant, but when they expect me to work for free I might as well stay home.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:09:23 pm »
 Hang in there bro. Maybe there is something better coming your way.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:54 pm »
Hang in there and best wishes to you.  Hate to hear about things like this especially this time of year.   I wish you the best.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »
After  20+ years of employment with the Company.....and during times of hardship like we have been suffering for the last three years....last August I had a small accident while moving a Crane...I bumped the gender of.a semi tractor/trailer....damage....under a $1,000.00.....but no  questions asked....they fired me....so to make a long story shorter....I got back to work after less than three  months....and hot a $4.00 an hour raise to boot....and the best part wasn't the raise...its the fact I am working for the same company....just a different contract...so I lost no benefits...or seniority....so be optimistic....things can work out better than you may think....good Luck...and God bless.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »
Yeah I am hoping to at least find something after the first of the year.  Been to a lot of interviews but none have made up their minds.  Makes it tough when you may have 1000 people apply for one job.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:11:18 pm »
Tough break, Stephen.  I'm keeping good thoughts for you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:14 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

John W...  I hope I'm half as lucky as you eventually came to be.  Doing something that interests you, or you love and getting paid for it...  a rare treat in this life!

Chins up, guys!  One foot in front of the other... 

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »
My wife says that when one door closes it is because another is opening, or that God is just redirecting you. Good luck, things have a way of working out.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:36:46 pm »
 Really sorry to hear that. I'm doing everything I can to keep my guys working and not having to lay them off. They are all out of vacation time except one and I let him go home so I can work the others when we are slow. Work is picking up slowly here, hope it gets better.

And, if your Irish luck is as good as mine, I know something isn't long in the works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

HatchA

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
Thanks guys.

I negotiated my redundancy package today - they started low, I started high and we met a little more than halfway (where I was hoping for) so I'm happy to be getting that!

Got a bit of DIY to do around the house - mainly insulation - but I think I'll find some cash to get some archery gear so I can fill the new freezer, I plan on buying, with meat...  ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:28:46 pm »
 You guy's get to hunt There? That's a Plus. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

HatchA

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:19:32 am »
You guy's get to hunt There? That's a Plus. ;)

Technically?..... no, not with archery equipment  :(

BUt I can stock up for future trips overseas, right?

I DO know a lady that has a herd of red deer that trample through her garden on a regular occasion and she said, as her garden is big enough, me and a friend of mine are more than welcome to put up some 3D targets on her property to shoot at....if you understand...?  ;););)

I'm thinking of campaigning to legalise bowhunting in Ireland anyway.  Once the Green Party are out of Government next month, they won't have as much control in doing what they can to stop people from hunting here.  They put a ban on hunting stags/bucks here a while back - which to be honest, I think I'm in agreement cos they do look beautiful in the wild and taking doe's is a more practical way of culling etc. 

I've already been on to the society that governs Irish invasive species in an effort to get them to add the sika deer to the list - introduced some time in the 1800's by some Indian Raj or something, originally about 200 or so - now there's over a million in the Dublin Mountains alone and they're inter-breeding with the indigenous reds, which ain't good!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:31 am »
Sorry to hear about your job,hope better things come your way, We have been lucky here is my area,the economy hasn't been to bad and of course the business I am in,Miller/Coors hasn't been bad at all, People just buy cheaper beer ,but they still buy beer. :) Not as much Sam Adams/Corona and more PBR/Milwaukee's Best. :) :) A couple of the GM plants closed down a year or so ago but are reopening as an Engine plant and to assamble some Elect. cars. Good luck with you hunting and getting it opened to anyone that want to, Don't know what I would do if it was that restricted here in the US. We are spoiled for sure when it come to  Bow Hunting and Guns,Lots of people fought hard for that right Just hope we can keep it that way for future generations.  :) Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good