Author Topic: Curses, foiled again!  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Curses, foiled again!
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »
I have been eyeballing my sourwood shoot honey hole all summer and fall just waiting for the right time to cut shoots. I like to wait until the leaves fall and usually until after hunting season(for safety sake) for this task. Today is the end of hunting season in our area so I drove out to check on and cut as many sourwood shoot as I could to make arrows with and use as trade items. When I got there I noticed a nicely mowed road bank where my shoot stash was to come from. >:(
  I had noticed the NCDOT bushhog crews near town last week but didn't expect them out here already(10 miles from town)...actually I didn't expect them this year.  They used to mow these road banks every 3 to 4 years. Two years ago when I went to harvest some shoots the NCDOT had beat me to it. Now, after waiting 2 more years for the shoots to mature so they would make good arrows the NCDOT has foiled my endevour by their untimely mowing. Since when did any government agency do anything on time(not meant to provoke government hatred)much less early!  ::)
  Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I have collected a few sourwood shoots from the woods around my home but not nearly enough to trade. Fortunately I have hill cane along my driveway that I can harvest and will begin soon. I'm the only one that mows that area so I should be OK...although last year the power company tree crew dropped trees and limbs into my cane patch then our uncommon 30" of snow beat the rest of it to the ground.  ::)  I better got out there and start cutting!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Curses, foiled again!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »
Well get after it Pat ;D I need some of that cane!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:16:00 pm »
I think the only word is - Doh!

Annoying. I've had that with bits of wood I've been keeping my eye on for bows and some inconsiderate contractor cuts and burns it!

Better luck next time!

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »
Man oh Man, that is too bad Pat. Maybe their are other patches to be harvested. L.O.L.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:04 am »
That stinks pat - hope they leave it alone for a few years.  ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:17:47 am »
Four years ago I collected about 500 shoots from only a portion of this area. When I went back to get the rest they had hit it but at least I got 500 shoots to work with. I need to add some sugar to the fuel tanks of the John Deers.  >:D   Just kidding. I really should have been there yesterday!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »
definately sounds like my luck.  i went to mcdonald's the other day and ordered a big mac.  the girl told me i had to order something else because they had run out of big mac bread.  what the hell?!?   >:(
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »
 You shouldn't be eating that crap anyway. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
Just put up one of those roadside "DO NOT MOW" signs, like you see every so often along rural roads where they planted wildflowers or something. >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
Tom, up until 2 years ago they only mowed the roadsides every 4 or 5 years. I guess this is part of the stimulous package keeping the NCDOT workers working!  ::)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 02:11:48 pm »
You really should put up a fence around that cane patch Pat ;D. We surely don't want anything to happen there :'(!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »
Art, the cane is on my property!  ;)  I almost shot some utility workers last winter for dropping limbs in the cane.  >:(
  I'll start harvesting cane after the first and will have a nice bundle coming your way shortly after!  ;D  Merry Christmas!!!...and to the gang too!  ;)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »
Hey, thanks Pat! Yeah, we want to protect that patch at all cost ;D! Merry Christmas!.........Art

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 03:37:04 pm »
Pat if you're Snidely Whiplash, doesn't that make the NCDOT Dudley Doright? LOL!  Good luck with finding a new sourwood patch, I hear it's good arrow material.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:12:33 pm »
Hey Art.  I googled Pat's place via satellite, and have every piece of cane marked, and take counts every other day.  Now looks like I will have to do it daily......gosh