Author Topic: Questions on Retiller  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Questions on Retiller
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
I've been debating on redoing an osage bow I built out of one of Gary Davis' blanks. It shoots pretty well but is a tad shockey and could lose about 6-7 lbs. I'm thinking narrow the outer limbs a bit and take some off the belly of the inner limbs. Does this sound like a good plan or should I leave well enough alone and try to do better on the next one?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:46:40 am by Steve Milbocker »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Questions on Retiller
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:31:03 am »
That would probably help and I don't see any problem with doing that,Gary leaves his a little wide at the tips unless you narrowed them down some ,at least for my taste. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:33:03 am »
What's the width/limb design of your bow Steve? A view of the front and side profiles would help a lot. Several things like matching the side profile to the front profile, leaving the last third of the limb as rigid as possible and side reduction/wood removal is where I would start.......Art

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:08:54 pm »
What's the width/limb design of your bow Steve? A view of the front and side profiles would help a lot. Several things like matching the side profile to the front profile, leaving the last third of the limb as rigid as possible and side reduction/wood removal is where I would start.......Art

Here is the bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,21120.0.html

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »
Your bow looks great Steve! You done a great job on finishing 'er out. Always hate to have to refinish or redo a bow myself but sometimes it's necessary with these Osage bows.

I've got one of these wide screen monitors which really distorts images so if you would please give us your limb width, that would help also. What's the bow's length and your draw?

Looks to me like you need to do a little edge rounding and trapping of the back to help remove some extra physical weight. That won't do much to reduce bow weight but will certainly help reduce limb weight. But first it appears like you have plenty limb width to do some side reduction to help lower the bow's draw weight.

Osage will easily handle a slightly oval belly shape and that's another method  to help reduce both physical and bow weight.

With your bow having a rectangular limb shape be sure to maintain an elliptical braced profile for optimum performance.

Looks like your limb/string angle is maxed out so you might want to consider removing the string groove's rear shoulder to help reduce string friction. Plus that helps lighten 'em also...........Art

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »
Thank you for the in put Art. The bow is 66" and maintains about 2'' to mid limb or perhaps a little more then tapers to 1/4'' tips. My draw is 28''. Considering this was my first I'm a little apprehensive about carving on it again. But on the other hand I want the best shooter I can get. So you suggest narrowing the whole profile, then trap the back and see how I make out?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »
Your bow at 2" wide is WAY too wide for that length (66") Osage Steve. Yes, narrow your width, and keep your outer 1/3 limb as stiff as possible. Then round your edges good and trap the back. You will lose very little if any bow weight with those last two procedures. Good luck......Art

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:50 pm »
I lied Art, that bow is 1.5''. I don't know why I thought it was 2".

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:00 pm »
Shame on you Steve ;D!

At 1 1/2" that's still to wide for an Osage bow of that length. An 1 1/4" is max for Osage at that length IMO.........Art