Author Topic: New Guinea Kids Bow  (Read 2112 times)

Offline gstoneberg

New Guinea Kids Bow
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »
The other day I rediscovered an old bow out in the garage that I've had for several years.  It occurred to me today that it's the most primitive bow I have.  Thought it might be interesting to some folks.

Several years ago my nephew went on a missions trip to New Guinea.  After he got home he dropped off a bow and arrow set he was given by the natives where he was at.  It was a very nice gesture.   He told me it was a childs bow, and it came with 7 arrows.  3 were damaged in one of our moves.  Sadly, one of the damaged arrows was a bird point with multiple hardwood points.  Each arrow is made of reed with a long hardwood foreshaft.  The reed is wrapped with sinew at the point junction and the hardwood extends into the reed about 3".  There are no feathers or visible nock.  The bow is roughly oval in shape and a little over 50" long.  The "string" is split bamboo.  I have never tried to draw the bow more than an inch or 2.  I don't know if my nephew did while he was over there or not.  Here are some pictures.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: New Guinea Kids Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:12 pm »
That's an interesting set, thanks for sharing!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:15 pm »
Very nice set....glad you shared the photos.  I have heard that those bows will dry out a lot in our lower humidity compared to the tropical regions.  Maybe not shoot the same or such.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »
 Cool bow. I'd like to try making a bamboo string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:48 am »
Nice! the original stuff I see :)
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:46:37 am »
What a nice primitive archery treasure. That's the real thing!!!  8)   I have a crossbow made of mahogany with a thick plant fiber string. I figured the Philippians or Southeast Asia. Never shot it and never will. I love old bows!!!...but I like new ones too!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
good stuff -that string is sometjhin'.... thanks for sharing!
 Pat-  there is a crossbow like that on the wall at a vietnamese place near me  - i should get some pics of it next time i get a bowl of pho noodles.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA