Author Topic: pretty tough huntin lol  (Read 4027 times)

Offline recurve shooter

pretty tough huntin lol
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:22:01 pm »
we have a random spring tree rat season that started on the 7th and runs till the 29th. soo i headed up to some public land with my smoke pole to see what i could do. the only problem with the public land in question, is that it's mostly pine groves with the brush annualy burned from benieth the trees to promote the growth of wild grasses and to make habitat for upland game birds, which i have no interest in. the only hard wood patches are THICK! between the privet and briars and saplings and what not, its not easy to move through it without moveing 8 bushes around you. plus it hasnt rained there in a while so the leaves are REALY crunchy. so my six and a half foot tall self looks and sounds like a herd of wild eliphants even when im doing my best to sneak. then on top of that you can only see twenty yards at best sooo a double barrle twelve guage black powder pistol (which hopefully my girlfriend will be getting me for my birthday!) would be much more suited for the shots than my rifle. anyway i saw one squirrel today, crawled after it through 50 yards of jungle before he dissapeard. but dealing with all that crap plus the heat and skeeters in chase of a tree dwelling rodent with a black powder rifle makes it fun. when i finally get lined up for a shot im just about as nervous as lineing up for a shot on a deer. sorry, no pics or anything, just had fun and wanted to tell about it.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:41:42 am by mullet »
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: pretty tough huntin lol
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:43:10 am »
That's why they call it hunting, Trey. You just have to adapt to the enviroment. The squirrels do. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:52 am »
lol i know it, its five A.M now, and im bout to get in the truck and go try again, so must not be that bad.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »
Better luck today?? :)
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
Haev you tried calling them in?  At this time of year the high pitched juvenile in distress should bring 'em running.  Along with redtailed hawks, fox, bobcat, coyote, blue jays, and PETA members.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »
Haev you tried calling them in?  At this time of year the high pitched juvenile in distress should bring 'em running.  Along with redtailed hawks, fox, bobcat, coyote, blue jays, and PETA members.

No matter how much I beat my kids, the turkeys just stay away...   ???

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:56:50 pm »
lol. i ended up getting two. had to use the 16 guage crack barrel though, lost the bolt that goes through the tang of my muzzleloader. :-[
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »
And typically it is the tang bolt that holds the trigger assembly in place.  Tough break!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:38:50 pm »
yeah that kinda sucked. i'll get it replaced soon. im also looking at getting a double barrel black powder twelve guage.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:21 pm »
I've got one, you'll like it. ;D I put 32, #3 buckshot in one barrel and a .69 round ball in the other for deer and hog hunting. And when in doubt or a boat load of hogs, pull both triggers. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:12:30 am »
lol that was exactly what i was planning to do.  ;D im just waiting on the guy to tell me how much he wants for the thing. i was also thinking that either a prb or buckshot in one barrel and a small game load in the other would be cool for the time of year when practicaly everything is in season. that way (as long as i remember what is in which barrel) i can take anything i happen accross.  ;D

lol love the "pull both triggers" plan.  ;D
lets just shoot it