Author Topic: KY Blue Cumberlands  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: KY Blue Cumberlands
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:08 pm »
Jesse:  Awesome work and fantastic flutes.  I have a bunch of points made by J. B. Solberger when he was making fluted points and somewhere in all my junk I have one of his jigs that he gave me years ago.  Just never got into learing how to use it as I was really only interested in making hunting points.  If I can find it I will try to bring it to the Classic if we get to come this year!  I really do appreciate your skills!  A/Ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:11 pm »
thats neat Joe!
Would be cool to see an origanal solberger fluting jig.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 06:19:32 am »
Very nice work Jesse,they would make a heck of a knife. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:18 am »
Thanks for the reply Jessy.
My knapping skills are still very weak so I am by no means a knapper.

Over the years I have looked at several long, fluted artifact points and came to the conclusion that some type of pressure jig must have been used.  Watching you get the results you get with your jig was all the more convincing.

Might be mastaken... But I think James Parker has played around with the forked stick jig meathod....

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »
I don't think the forked stick was what the paleo indians used.
Its not consistent, For example your need just the right stick to flute a 5 inch cumberland. if you found the right stick, that same stick would not flute a 4inch or a 6 inch because the angle would be wrong.
 I could be wrong though.
Mililani Hawaii

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »
do you have a pic of this jig you talk about..would love to see it...n action...LOL...gut

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »
its just a solboger jig.
You can google it.
Soryy i have no pics
Mililani Hawaii

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »
went on youtube and watched a video.....never knew about that kind of jig for flintknapping...it was really interesting to watch...just makes me wonder how in the heck the paleo's did it without that kind of a jig....learn something everyday...gut

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »
im gonna scew around with primitive levers and see what i can come up with
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 02:14:40 am »
Jesse any way of getting some stages in pics??? Like biface and preform pic setting on ur solberger etc...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 06:50:06 am »
spoke with jeff kalin yesterday about this topic. jeff has been knapping all abo for 35+ yrs. has travelled north and south america just to knap with others and pick up rock. as soon as i said cumberland , his eyes lit up. i asked what his thoughts were on a primitive jig and he said "why would you need a jig". the important thing is too leave em pretty thick and like jesse said it needs a diamond cross section. im still convinced that a jig was used, but it can be done by hand. im definetly gonna spend some time with this and see what i can come up with . or untill i break too many points ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 10:22:13 am »
Check Jeff out on Youtube type in clovis Knapper and u will see him using a homemade soleberger!

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:44 am »
wrong jeff.  kalin is from ct. ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 06:44:42 am »
spoke with an archaelogist yesterday. she told me about a chest method that was used to flute the big points. she is going to dig up the info and send it to me. in the meantime im trying to get out of the habit of thinning my points too much so i can set up some ridges to flute. im still having a tough time getting away from running my flakes from edge to edge. went back to hammerstones too, thinking that would help build up a ridge and it has a bit. need to change my methods thats for sure.

waterbury, ct

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 09:11:42 am »
Jamie- Some people pray for your problems- "Running flakes from ridge to ridge) ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA